Act 2, Scene 2

Jamala had made some enquiries among the servants and now he walked through the moonlit garden and joined Tonkey, who was sitting on a bench.

'It's true,' he said. 'Young Lord van Brakel is going to marry Cepheus' daughter.'

'I know, my lord' said Tonkey, 'but I can prevent it.'

'Any obstruction, any hindrance, any interference, will be a tonic to me.' Jamala grimaced. 'I'm nauseated by him, and whatever annoys him gives me pleasure. How can you prevent this marriage?'

'Not legitimately, my lord,' said Tonkey, 'but so secretly that no-one will detect it.'

'Tell me, briefly, how.'

'I think I told your lordship about a year ago how much Theadora's waiting house elf, Daisy, likes me.'

'I remember,' said Jamala.

'I can get her to look out of her lady's bedroom window at any time of night.'

'How does that lead to the destruction of this marriage?' snapped Jamala.

'It's up to you to concoct something from that, master' said Tonkey. 'Go to your brother: don't mince words: tell him that he has damaged his honour in marrying the greatly respected Bas – whom you estimate highly – to a contaminated whore like Miss Fawley.'

'How will I be able to prove that?'

'Proof enough to deceive the prince, to torment Bas, to destroy Theadora and kill Lord Fawley. Are you hoping for any other outcome?'

'I will do anything to spite them,' said Jamala.

'Go on then master: find a suitable time to draw Muhammed and Bas aside. Tell them that you've discovered that Theadora loves me. Show a kind of enthusiasm on behalf of both of them – your concern for your brother's honour in making this match, and his friend's reputation, who is likely to be tricked by her pretence at virginity: that you have discovered this. They won't believe this without proof. Offer to show them – nothing less than seeing me at her bedroom window, hearing me call Daisy her mistress' name, hearing Margaret mockingly call me Claudio: and bring them to see this the night before the intended wedding. In the meantime, I will arrange for Theadora to be somewhere else. And surely her disloyalty will be so realistic that suspicion will turn into certainty and all their plans will be overthrown.'

'No matter how bad the consequences will be I'll do it,' said Jamala. 'Do this properly and you will be free of a thousand scorching needles.'

'Just stick to the accusation and my plan won't fail.'

'I'll go and find out the day of the wedding right now' said Jamala.

Tonkey and Jamala plan to ruin Bas' relationship with Theadora by making him think she is unfaithful. Tonkey will have sex on a balcony with Theadora's maid, who will wear her clothes.