Chapter 19 The Park

"Harrison, you need to get out somewhere," Mallie stated on the other end of the phone as I lied on my bed, staring up towards the ceiling.

"Where should I go?" I mumbled solemnly, still heartbroken from Mary leaving a few days before.

"I don't know, you just need to go out somewhere, get your mind off of things." She paused, grasping her thoughts before letting them out. "If It makes you feel any better, I'll go with you to wherever you plan on going." I lied there, thinking of a plan.

"Mallie, let's go to the park next Tuesday."

"The park?"

"Yeah, I know one that has a nice trail alongside a bunch of benching areas. If you'd like, maybe we could bring your guitar and I could listen to you play?" I could feel the energy in her change as I explained everything.

"That sounds like fun, I'll have to ask my parents though." I could hear rustling from her end of the phone, but it quickly stopped as she spoke back into it. "Hold on, let me go ask!" From there, she was gone without a trace. Mary... I think about you more than I should. But hopefully I'll stop loving you, because you were right.

Mallie is the one I need...

Tuesday, November 21st

I stood at the front of the park, where the trail began, waiting for her to show. It was bright and sunny, but a few gray clouds loomed in the far distance, moving ever so slowly. There was a gentle breeze that quietly flowed through the air, causing the trees to sway ever so slightly. I wore dark grey sweatpants alongside an anime-esc shirt, showing off a character with a sword. Surprisingly, it wasn't bustling with people, probably because they were all at work or whatever.

Thanksgiving break had already started, causing a slight excitement to run through me. I had been anticipating today ever since Mallie said that she could go. But now that I stood at the front of the park, I was a little nervous. I didn't fully know why I was nervous, but I quietly stood there, trying to feel the most joy I could while waiting for her. Despite my attempts though, the haunting image of roughly two weeks ago still loomed in my mind.

I sighed as I slowly walked over to a bench, sitting down on it as I waited. As I did, I could almost feel Mary sitting beside me, wrapping her arm around my arm. I wanted to see her, hear her voice, to look at her beautiful, wonderful brown eyes. But what could I do to fulfill this wish of mine? What could I do now that she was gone and all I could ever want is her?...

"HARRISON!" I heard a person yell from the distance, jerking my head up. I saw Mallie waving towards me, wearing black leggings with an oversized hoodie. It was a bright blue hoodie with a Chibi cat face on it, and around her shoulders was a long, black strap. Behind her was a large, black case that looked heavy.

"Mallie, let me get that for you." I stated, rushing over towards her as she walked over to me.

"No Harrison, it's okay. It's actually not that heavy," she explained with a delightful grin. I slowed down as we got closer, admiring the beautiful grin she sent towards me. It was... charming, a lovely smile that no one else could have.

"Oh okay, want to walk on the trail for a little bit before we sit down?" She walked ahead of me before turning her head.

"Sounds like a plan." With a joyful smirk, I walked beside her before we continued onward. The tree's danced with the wind, causing the concrete below us to glisten with different spots of sunlight. Mallie's hair gently flowed behind her as I put my hands in my pockets, smiling as she talked to me about how things were going.