chapter 10 ↺

yeosang was scouted and accepted as a VIBE Entertainment trainee four years ago. he vividly recalls this moment: spring was drawing to a close, and cherry blossom petals were scattered across the ground. the school day had ended early that day. yeosang was regarded as a responsible student, if not the ideal student. he excelled academically, participated in numerous extracurricular activities, and was regarded as a role model by many students. nothing else was ever more important to him than his studies. while he did enjoy singing and dancing at the time, he did not make time to improve his abilities and instead treated them as hobbies. he already had a lot on his plate and didn't want to add dance and singing to his worries.

he recalls how these agents would hand over their company's business card on his way home from school, explaining that they'd like him to audition as a trainee for their companies. he turned down the majority of them, a little taken aback that they'd scouted him of all people. but although he said no to everyone that day, but he promised to think about it and call them if his mind changed.

yeosang pondered it for a few days, and the more he contemplated it, the more he realized how important singing and dancing are to him. they may have just been his hobbies, but he knew deep inside that he genuinely enjoyed doing them; that they made him happy. he wasn't sure if he wanted to do this for the rest of his life (or even half of it), but he figures that giving it a shot isn't so bad.

he eventually told his parents about it over dinner, but he already knew their response. it was acceptable, why would any parent want to allow their child to become an idol when they're doing so well in school? but it was also unfair, shouldn't his happiness matter over their expectations?  if we were born to live the life our parents have already sketched out for us, then what is the point of living?

yeosang didn't call any of them back.

a week later, yeosang discovers a man outside his school's gates so early in the morning. he was in his early twenties and appeared physically fit, but his facial features were soft and puerile. the young man lets out a blissful squeal as yeosang approaches the entrance, as if he has been waiting for him for a long time.

"are you kang yeosang?" he asks as he approaches him. 

"yes, that's me. what is this about?"

"what a pleasure to meet you! i am do woobin from VIBE Entertainment. i actually saw you a few days ago but i wasn't able to formally introduce myself. now that i have, i'd like you to train under our company."

"i appreciate the offer sir, but i'd have to decline, i'm sorry."

"may i know the reason why? i would hate to let talent go. i have seen you sing in numerous school performances of yours. trust me when i have a keen eye for talent. if you join our company, you may be able to improve your singing and dancing skills more. if you go far enough, you might even make it to the debut line-up!"

"it's not that i don't want to, but i think this isn't the right time yet. besides, my parents don't seem to favor the idea anyway."

"but this is a great opportunity for you yeosang. you won't even need to audition, we are taking you in right away. nevermind your parents, this decision is entirely up to you. just try it out for three months, please? it would be a pity to waste your talent!"