Chapter 19: Blow to the Heart

Blood.

     So much blood.

     It splattered against the boulder like paint, dripping down into the grainy sand below. Its iron tang filled the air as the girl's moans suddenly hitched into silence, like the impact had forced her vocal cords to stop working. She fell limp into the sands, staining it an ugly brown hue.

     Limp.

     Lifeless.

     Dead.

      I woke up for the fifth time that night, one hand around my neck and the other pressed against my forehead. As I massaged my temples, my other hand tugged the key from beneath my shirt and fingered its crusty exterior.

     I did it; I succeeded. I faced my family and won. But nothing had ever prepared me for the consequences.

      The Overlord had been pleased at my victory. He told the camp to pack up, as we'd all be heading to him at dawn the next day. I should have been excited to finally meet the source of the voice in my brain, but all I could feel was very, very tired. The Overlord was apparently situated on the Dark Island, which was at least a week of sailing if we used the speedboats. The mere thought of sitting on the cold decks and constantly getting splashed with the stinging saltwater was exhausting.

     "Can't sleep?"

     "Go away," I growled, tucking the key out of sight. My hands may have been washed, but all I could see in the key's place was blood. So much blood was on my hands. That girl... with the way she hit the boulder... she was probably dead. Then again, she could also have survived. It was plausible.

      Dead.

      "No," the spirit's tone turned cold, rendering me surprised. I had never heard him speak to me this way before. "No, Ver, no I'm not going to go away."

      "I get it. You're tethere—"

      "No, Ver. I've tried for years to be reasonable with you," the spirit's voice rose. "I've let you have a lot of freedom, and I've tried my best not to interfere."

      I barked out a laugh, swinging my legs over the side of the cot. The ground was wet against my bare feet, or was that my imagination? It hadn't rained in days. Besides, the canopy of leaves above us would hide us from any rain's brute force. I peered over the edge, only to see a flash of dripping scarlet.

     STOP THIS, VER! THIS ISN'T YOU!

     "I have let you make the wrong decisions for too long," The spirit faced me with a steely stare. "I can't just let you stand by and kill someone again."