Chapter Ten

Elain woke the next morning in her own bed, in the townhouse. She was informed that this would be another day where Rhys and Feyre had intended to sit down with Lucien this evening, but she wasn’t sure when, given that it had been two days since her conversation with Lucien.

It was the first time she had spoken with him, while she had had a clear head. A true conversation. She hadn’t expected to come out of the conversation feeling so… guilty. She had intended to find her nephew to sit with, but as she was walking down the hall, each step away from Lucien, the guilt became more and more heavy in her chest and she didn’t understand it.

It wasn’t only guilt she had felt. There was a feeling of longing to go back, talk to him some more.have a real conversation this time, where she was not being unkind or cruel. Where she was being proper enough to face him. To just even spend time with him.

Elain even felt the need to apologize to Lucien for the way she had thanked him. It had been two days where she had remained at the townhouse.

She wasn’t yet comfortable enough yet calling it her townhouse. It wasn’t really, even though she was the only one who lived here anymore. It didn’t feel like home. To be honest, nothing had felt like home.

No where here felt like home, and this was a secret she would keep locked away in the smallest chest, deep within the darkest bits of her mind. She knew if her sister was aware how Elain didn’t feel at home here, it would break her sisters heart. Both of her sisters. A place named after the Night, just wasn’t a place where she felt she could truly thrive. No matter how beautiful it was.

Elain started heading down the stairs, of the townhouse she hadn’t left in the past two days, ready to get herself some food. She hadn’t left the house, using the excuse that she had to decorate it for Solstice. But the truth was, she was afraid if she left, she would end up going to find Lucien. The idea of that happened frightened her. The fae instincts she still was not used to, and did not truly want.

As Elain was about just looking for something to eat for breakfast, there was a knock on the door. She went to answer the door, only to see it was one of the towns children, who had a letter in their hand.

The child had held up the letter, with a proud smile, declaring, “A letter for the High Lady’s sister Lady Elain, requested to be hand delivered, in person.”

Elain had taken the letter, with a kind smile of her own. But before she could offer her thanks, the child had ran off, giggling the whole way, probably back to their friends.

Upon going inside, Elain opened the letter, and began to read the beautifully elegant script, only to stop dead and have to start again, once she realized who the letter was from.

To the Lady Elain,

I realize the shock you must feel receiving this letter, and finding that I am the one who has sent it. I apologize for that shock, as it is not my intention. Truly.

My intention for writing this letter is to request a meeting. We need to talk. We need to finally have a true conversation about what lies between us, and what to do about it.

Again, I would like to truly, and formally apologize, as I do not wish to make you feel there is no choice here for you. I do not wish for you to feel pressured in meeting.

I will be at The Fox’s Field for lunch come 12.45 this afternoon. I assume this is not somewhere you frequent, or your family and friends frequent. If you wish this meeting may remain between us, or you may let whomever know. Whichever makes you more comfortable, is best.

I am also aware that the very idea of meeting me for lunch, to have a conversation you may not be ready for yet is not ideal for you, so I will be waiting at the restaurant for an hour. It gives you time to come to a decision, and show up, or not come at all.

Please, do not feel pressured to come. Do not feel obligated to come, and under no circumstances are you to allow anyone else, should you choose to tell anyone about this meeting, to pressure you into meeting with me, if you do not want to. This is your decision. Though I do need to speak with you, I understand and am preparing should you choose to not show up.

Wishing you my best,

Lucien Vanserra

Elain stood there, in complete shock, after having read the letter in her hand, and rereading it several times over.

What would Lucien have to talk to her about? And more importantly, would she go to meet him?