9~The Change

"Okay, the wrong piece of the puzzle," I smiled triumphantly, she was supplying me with so much for my story, this would be good. After I scribbled the last bit down I ran my hand through my long hair and then brought the same hand back down to check the time on my watch.

I had a few hours until that dreaded dinner with my mother. Sighing tiredly, I focused on another question, ignoring her flirtatious resolve.

"Do you think that one of the reasons you are divorcing is because your relationship with Andrew started so suddenly?" I still had another forty minutes of this interview left, I looked down at my phone to see it had been recording for around an hour.

Cate let out a loud laugh, shocking me right out of my train of thought, I hadn't said anything particularly funny.

When I looked up from the phone at her she was grinning, mirth filled her eyes that just moments ago seemed to be lost.

It seemed I didn't have to put any special effort into making her laugh or be happy, I seemed to do it without being aware of it.

"Thalia, you don't seem to be very educated on the mechanics of a relationship, darling," she said, the laugh shrinking into a slight smirk, I restrained a scowl. She was laughing at my lack of knowledge, I hated that it made me feel stupid.

I looked down, away from her, fuming that she somehow knew that I was inexperienced and that she'd pointed it out.

It wasn't my fault boys were intimidated by my mother, most of the ones I met were just pansies, I'd never really managed to click with them anyway.

My last boyfriend had been Jonathan Ramone when I was 13, he'd kissed me on the cheek and I'd been so disgusted that I broke up with him. Even though he'd asked me out that same day.

I think Cate picked up on my mood and shifted a bit. "I didn't mean to offend you, Thalia. You.." she sighed and then wrapped her shawl around herself tighter. "You just make me feel better than I've been feeling lately," she confessed.

I'd was that unprofessional? What am I doing wrong? Shit

Why was I even getting offended? I just scoffed at myself and looked back up at her, annoyed that I even cared.

Cate looked sorry, she also looked like she wanted to say more but must have gotten the message that I didn't want to hear more because she just dropped it and carried on.

"When I say I loved Andrew, I mean it, we were crazy about each other. I couldn't imagine a life without him and then it changed, it's what happens, things change, people change," she said quietly, still watching me cautiously, as if I was about ot burst into tears at the slightest thing.

I wasn't that delicate, in fact I wasn't delicate at all. She didn't have to care so much. Angry thoughts whirled around my head but a part of me couldn't help but feel special, she actually cared about my feelings and how I felt.

The more I thought about the fact she cared, the more flustered I was becoming so instead of dwelling on it I carried on asking my questions.

"So who changed, you or him?" I asked, clearing my throat, clearing out the emotions I was feeling.

Focus! I had to listen to her answers and not get distracted, I had to pick out the details that would lead me to the truth.

Cate's eyes darkened significantly after I asked the question, thrown back into a moment of the past. She ran her finger around the rim of her coffee mug, deep in thought.

"I was the one who changed," she said eventually, her voice filled with what I could only describe as regret.

Regret for the mess of her marriage? Reget for the mess of her children's lives? Or was it regret for something else, something more scandalous?