23~The Build Up

I was starting to feel like this was a bad idea, anything that had something to do with my mother was a bad idea. She was the literal definition of pure evil.

I was terrified of her meeting Cate, what would she say? She'd certainly be critical of her and her career, she'd always believed that actors were all liars and snakes. She'd said the only person you could trust was a business person and I knew for a fact that was a lie.

It was as I stood in front on my floor length mirror in my bedroom, dressed in a silk, tan dress that stopped just about mid-calf. I didn't exactly like wearing things like this but I knew my mother would throw a fit if I was dressed in pants and a t-shirt, I'm pretty sure she'd disown me.

I heard the click of Cate's black dress shoes and seconds later she entered into my bedroom, I spotted her through the mirror, holding her clutch and her eyes immediately finding me. 

She looked stunning, she wore a white suit that matched my dress almost as if that had been her intention. There was not a crease in the white blazer she'd buttoned up, concealing her chest. Confidence flowed from her in waves, I think this was the first time I let myself openly admire her.

"You look beautiful, Thalia," she said to me, seeming to be consciously admiring me as well. 

I blushed, something it seemed I'd have to get used to doing if I was going to continue being around Cate. I didn't even know if I wanted to. 

Regardless, I didn't want to think of any of that. I just wanted to be able to get through this dinner without wanting to strangle my mother in front of her fancy friends.

"Ready to go?" Cate asked, walking over to me slowly. I turned around as she neared me, nodding slightly as she stood before me. 

Being this close to her I could see the tiny little flecks in her eyes which were still blue but just a different shade, I truly did love her eyes. It was something about her I'd always appreciated, even when I was denying me feelings towards her.

"I'm going to be there with you, Thalia. If you want to leave at any point, just let me know and we can just walk out," she said, she seemed to have figured out that I wasn't exactly close to my mother. I did plan on talking to her about my mother, just not now.

Without another word we left my apartment, Cate had driven us both over here a couple hours ago, she'd gotten ready at her house. The plan was we'd go together and then she'd drop me back off at home before going home herself.

"Warwick's, huh?" Cate asked, drumming her hand on the steering wheel as we came to a slow stop at a red light. 

"Have you been?" I asked, clearing my throat, I had to clear out that shyness Cate made me feel.

Greene women don't feel those silly emotions.

I'd been repeating it the whole way, hoping that I'd regain my confidence and ability to snap back at my mother in the car on the way there.

"Yes, a few times, the food and service are great. It just feels like everyone's breathing down your neck constantly," she chuckled, I smiled along with her. I agreed, I hated Warwick's. 

That silly pricey restaurants rich people went to so they could blend in with the celebrities and the upper class. It was ridiculous really, made the world feel like a play for power, everyone was always constantly vying for validation from the rich and powerful. People bought themselves out of house and home just so they live like the rich for a day, while the rich people flaunted their wealth in their faces.

"I would much rather eat grease for a day if it meant I didn't have to sit among the wealthy and entitled," I muttered loud enough for Cate to hear, as expected she let out a glorious laugh. It always made me smile, knowing I could make her laugh and smile like that. 

Eventually we pulled up at the restaurant. It had Warwick's flashing brightly in the already darkening sky, it seemed to outshine the other small businesses surrounding it. Refusing to give myself time to hesitate I got out the car, steeling myself and reinforcing those emotional barriers I'd put up whenever I was in my mother's company.

However, this time was different, I had Cate with me. In some way, I had no idea what way yet, she'd help me. I was starting to find that her presence alone was usually helpful, except I hadn't exactly realised until now.

I hadn't realised how much it meant to me that she was beside me as we walked through those flashy golden doors that had glazed windows, as if they didn't want to let the 'lower classes' look in and see people spending the money they had on an assortment of raw foods and fish eggs.

I hadn't realised how much it meant to me that she was making an effort to support me through one of these dinners, where I'd previously had no support. 

It was as soon as I locked eyes with my mother that my confidence wavered, I'd always hated how different but so very alike we looked. Her face was mine but just with a colder and more snobby exterior.

I tried to look indifferent and not give her the satisfaction of seeing me nervous, I didn't miss the brief shock as she registered Cate's presence. My mother had a funny way of showing emotion, it was rare she did, but when she did it was never in the eyes. It'd be her mouth, she moved it in certain ways to express how she felt about something, it was how I anticipated what she'd say next. 

Having that scrap of knowledge made me feel one step ahead of her, so I managed to learn what every minor movement of her mouth indicated.

Robert and Jack were already sat at the table, I was grateful to see that the table was set for six, to chairs at the head of the table. Both chairs were occupied by my mother and Robert, there were two empty seats on the right while Jack occupied the one to the left of his father.

"Right, let's do this," I whispered and smiled pleasantly as I felt Cate's hand "accidentally" brush my own. I felt like I was throwing her straight to the sharks, she'd never had the displeasure of being acquainted with my mother. However, she was a strong woman who'd probably dealt with enough sharks to last a lifetime. She was Australian after all. 

I appreciated her silent message to tell me that she was here and wasn't going anywhere.