30~The Family

"Hey, Dash, everything okay, honey?" Cate's quiet, groggy voice woke me from my slumber, the sun shone in through the gap in the curtains. I shifted slightly, turning to see Cate sat up against the bed head one hand holding her phone to her ear and the other rubbing her forehead.

"Now?" She asked, her voice rising slightly in  what sounded like stress but upon looking deeper I could see the slight excitement in her eyes as she listened. "Oh okay, well, I have..." she looked over at me, her eyes widening when she realised I was awake.

She smiled, her teeth flashing in one of her adorable smiles.  "I have someone over, is that okay?" She asked, bringing a nail up to her mouth and bite it subconsciously. Seeing her do it now I realised that it was quite an avid habit she'd had, I'd never noticed it before.

"No, no of course not, only if it's okay with you," she murmured, her head turning away from me to look out of the window. She reached a hand out towards me, taking my hand which rested on top of the duvet. 

I couldn't get over how beautiful she was, she sat with a silk gown on, part of it was slipping off of her shoulder, revealing her flawless skin. Her eyes shone in the sun, creating little golden flecks in her eyes, how was it that one person could be so entirely perfect?

Suddenly, her eyes lit up, as if she'd just been told she'd won a million pounds. However, knowing Cate I knew a million pounds wouldn't equate to anything important. Her priorities didn't tend to be material things like money and status.

"Hi, Edie!" She cooed, her lips stretching into a grin as she waited with baited breath for a reply, nodding slightly as whoever was on the other end of the phone spoke to her. "Yes, I miss you too, baby."

I quickly caught on that she was talking to her kids, Edith was her daughter, I remember briefly meeting her at one of the interviews I held with Cate. Along with Ignatius.

"Okay, bye, baby. I'll see you soon!" She exclaimed before putting down the phone on the nightstand and turning to me, giving me her full attention. 

She let out a loud sigh and pulled me closer to her, wrapping her arms around me, I laughed as she kissed my head. "Did you sleep well, darling?" She asked me, pulling the bedcovers up over us and cuddling into me.

If all mornings with Cate were like this then I never wanted to leave her bed again. 

A slight ache radiated from my body, but it was the sort of ache you enjoy. Like the ache you get waking up after exercising past what your body is used to. Like the ache you get when you desire something so badly that it's all you can think of.

Sleeping with Cate resulted in getting some of the best sleep I'd ever gotten in my life. Something about being close to her and being able to bask in the fact that I had someone with me, someone who I could trust, someone who I loved.

"I've never slept better," I smirked and kissed her jaw, pushing myself into her chest, she was warm and familiar. "You think we could stay like this forever?" I asked her, wrapping my arms around her middle.

Cate tilted back her head and laughed loudly, stopping momentarily to look back down at me, going quite for a minute and her eyes hardening as she became serious. "Thalia, I want nothing more than forever with you," she whispered, bringing a hand up to cup my cheek and bring herself closer to me in order to plant a sweet, passionate kiss on my lips.

Upon pulling away she ran a hand through my hair, pulling slightly on some of the knots. "I want it so intensely that I think you should meet my kids," she told me, biting her lip and watching me, as if waiting for me to react badly. 

Yes, I'll admit, it shocked me she wanted me to meet her kids. That would be a big step, especially after we've only just decided to enter what some would call a relationship. "I-" I paused, was I ready to meet her kids?