10~The Relative

The restaurant was of course ridiculously fancy, it contrasted to my casual jeans and blazer jacket. If my mother didn't eat me alive for this then the judgy stares of rich women draped in pearls would.

Of course my mother was late, when she'd invited me out in the first place. She'd always been so particular about time, if you were late it was seen as disrespectful and impolite. However, if my mother was late everyone else was simply early and trying to make her look bad.

That's exactly what she'd say to me after she lectured me for my appearance.

It hadn't taken long for me to be seated, as soon as I said I was Lillian Greene's daughter people would see the irritating resemblance and lay down their lives for me.

Here I was, sat at the table waiting for my mother. Enduring those ridiculous stares from other people who thought they were better off than me. Which they most likely were.

"You'd think, of all people, my daughter would be more aware of the people around her," I almost jumped out of my bloody skin.

My head shot up and I met the cold brown eyes of my mother, who was standing gracefully beside the table, as if waiting for me to stand up and kiss her shoes or something. Lillian Greene. A worldwide name, simply because she owned the very phones we all held in our hands.

To me, growing up with a rich and famous mother was the best thing that could ever happen to me. Whatever I wanted and all I had to do was ask and she'd buy it me. Unfortunately, as I grew up it became more apparent that she only bought me that stuff because she wanted me to leave her alone.

After I made this heartbreaking discovery, I also discovered that I wasn't even my own person, I was a shadow of my mother. I was seen as her daughter, not Thalia Greene.

"Mum! What the fuck?!" I hissed, holding a hand to my chest and reluctantly stood only so she could sit down.

My mother scoffed and rolled her eyes, "oh please, there is no need for your foul language and your over-dramatised manner," she said and placed her £565 Yves Saint Laurent purse on the table.

A purse which I thought was a ridiculous price but still nice, I did appreciate the perks that came with wealth. Like expensive purses that I couldn't afford anymore.

The most valuable thing in my house was my TV.

I mimicked her little scoff and then spoke, "you're late, I've been waiting 30 minutes," I said, the words gritting out of my teeth.

"And you'd have been waiting longer if I wanted you to," she said smugly, knowing that she was right. I'd rather wait days then be on the receiving end of my mother's endless remarks.

I watched as she shrugged off another expensive coat from her slim form observing my own clothing in disgust.

"You couldn't find anything better in your little cardboard box," she bit out like a snake, snickering as I rolled my eyes at her quip.

Deciding to disgust her even more I smiled evily, "no, I've worn this outfit for the past four days," I lied, laughing as I watched her nose wrinkle subtly in displeasure.

To any other person they'd see a mother and daughter enjoying a meal together, it's because us Greene women found it hard to show emotion. My mother more than myself, words were enough to show our feelings.

"Do you seriously still live in that trivial little cesspit?" She never tried to hide her limited thoughts from me, one learned to deflect snide comments when around my mother. She was close-minded and shallow and certainly didn't care if she hurt your feelings.

That's why I was so immune to people insulting me, I'd gotten enough of it from my mother. Who never excused her behaviour and encouraged me to see like she did.

"Yes, mother, I like my home a lot better than that god awful shit hole you call a home," I told her matter-of-factly, rubbing my hands together nervously under the table, god I hated this.

My mother straightened out her suit jacket, her posture poised but stiff. She was so uptight.

"Ah," she said boredly, as if my comment was so insignificant she wouldn't care to counter it. That was the thing I hated the most, being brushed aside or my words being ignored, "and how is that... umm, that hobby you had going on?" She asked as if it was the last thing she cared about, as if my career was nothing more than an erratic dream. "Fishing or something?"

The hard truth was that she didn't even know my interests, she didn't care.

"Writing," I corrected, becoming frustrated quickly. "It's going brilliantly, in fact, I've just been given a new story and-" why did I even try telling her about my life in the first place?

"That's nice, I'm glad we've had this little catch up but I've more important matters to discuss," it didn't matter what I was saying, my mother would never listen. I could tell her I'd gotten pregnant and was running away and she'd still not be phased.

Whenever my mother arranged to meet me, it was always something about her, she didn't want to catch up or chat idly with me. It was always strictly business.

I had a creeping feeling this news was going to be something I didn't want to hear. Generally speaking, anything she said was something I could live without hearing.

She'd probably try and make me sleep with a few other CEO's of upcoming technology companies just so they could be partners and then the competition would simply disappear.

That's something you had to admire about my mother, the lengths she'd go to just to get what she wanted, even though they were extremely concerning.

Everything about my mother was extremely concerning, she had major issues.

I waited for her to speak again, knowing that even if I said anything she'd just interrupt me anyway.

"I don't see the point of beating around the bush, I never believed in it. You remember Robert Davies?" She asked me, not waiting for an answer before she continued on, "and his charming son, Jack?" She quirked an eyebrow suggestively and I knew exactly what she was suggesting.

"Absolutely not, you're disgusting," I groaned, pushing myself back in my chair.

My mother looked affronted as if I had insulted her by saying no. Another thing, my mother hated the word 'no' unless it was coming from her own mouth.

"Oh, well that's unfortunate because we'll be dining with them this time next week, you've just been single for so long, I'm sure the media has started to think you like women or something ridiculous like that,"

I closed my eyes, not even a sliver of concern for me. None at all, nothing that indicated she even cared.

"What are you doing? You aren't going into a mass depression again, are you? I couldn't deal with you the last time that happened, I had to ship you away to your Aunt-"

I didn't let the vile snake finish, instead I stood up angrily and abruptly stormed out of the stupid fancy restaurant. I knew my mother wouldn't follow me and apologise, I'd be a fool to think as such.

As I left I felt the poisonous stares of all the pompous pricks sat in there. One of the stares burned right into the back of my head, I didn't even have to turn to know my mother was mentally stabbing me in the head.

God, I think I needed to go clubbing again.
~
It basically counts as the next day its 12:35, let me publish as many chapters as I desire lmao.