Chapter 9 - Birthdays

my h key is literally dying

I hate my birthday.

Not because I hate growing up, but because of what happens at home.

My mother is often not at home, she drinks but not very often, and she also smokes. My father shouts at me quite a bit, but Mabel is a different story. They love her, but although I don't recieve much love or affection but nevertheless Mabel cares for me.

Bill seems worried about me. I am just sat on my bedroom floor, a sad expression on my face.

I don't want to go home.

To California, to the shack.

Nowhere.

Just here.

I regain conciousness, and the first thing I feel is the familiar bittersweet water rolling down my face. Bill pulls me closer to him, and he inches closer too. My head falls onto his shoulder, and his arms gently wrap around my chest. "Bill, I miss Mabel."

"How 'bout I take you to go see her then? Is that okay?" He replies, and I hug him back tightly. "Really?!" He nods his head, "Oh thank you!" A smile stretches across my face, and he places a small kiss on my forehead. "Just promise to come back after okay? I don't like it when you're gone." I nod my head, and a portal appears directly in front of the shack.

Mabel must be there. I wave goodbye, stepping into the portal.

"Mabel! Hey, Mabel?!" I call out, waiting for a response. "Dipper? Is that you?" I give a nod in reply, and we both grip on to each other tightly. "Dipping-dots I missed you! Where have you been?" We're both crying now, but I'm able to point to the Fearamid, and I see she has a shocked expression on her face.

"With....him..?" She whispers. "Yeah, it's not been that bad actually," I rub the back of my neck, letting go of her. "Bill's really soft once he warms up to you, but others just think badly of him."

A simple "hm" is given in response.

I begin to remember what Bill told me, I should start heading back soon.

"Mabel, I need to get going. I'm sorry for leaving so quickly, but I promised Bill I would come back. Remember, this is for your safety." I gently grab her hands, placing them in mine. And with one final hug, we part again.

------later----------

"Bill! I'm back!" I yell out. "Pine tree!" He hugs me and swiftly carries me to his room.

This took ages, and I'm tired.