#22.1 Rubi

The LED sign board above the seats opposite to mine displays the time in glowing red numbers

The LED sign board above the seats opposite to mine displays the time in glowing red numbers. 5.25 PM. The sparsely populated public train rocks gently, pushing Irina's shoulder against mine, every now and then, in a rhythm that's almost soothing. We're sitting in silence like we always do, a light silence that sings of her presence. This is just the way we enjoy each other's company.

Or at least the way I've always enjoyed hers.

She's watching a little girl in a frilly blue frock, who's occupying the seat in front of us, cradled in her sleeping mother's lap. The girl is fidgeting curiously with a silver ring on her mother's limp hand, but she quickly grows bored of it and shifts her attention to us, entering into a mini starting contest with Irina. The sight is so cute and so unusual that I need to resist the urge to pull my phone out and snap a picture.

The little girl abruptly starts to peel her mother's hands off of her and jumps to the ground. Irina turns to me, and we exchange a confused glance. Sometimes, it feels like it's little moments like these that I live for.

The child waddles over to us and stops before Irina, her small arms outstretched. "Um, Rubi? What is she doing?" Irina asks, perplexed.

I smile. "I think she wants you to pick her up."

Irina looks back at the girl, who's flexing her tiny fingers impatiently. She warily slips her hands under the girl's arms and lifts her into the air. The girl stares, her round eyes large and voluminous. A beat passes with them suspended in that position. "Can I put her down now? My arms are starting to ache a little-"

I giggle. "Put her on your lap, silly."

Irina raises an eyebrow at me.

I clear my throat. "Er...I mean, Irina."

She sighs, and lowers the girl onto her lap. I guide her hands to the child's back, to keep her from falling off. "Hello there! What's your name?" I ask sweetly, bending forward and gently poking the little girl's soft cheek.

"Sa-chee," she replies, fixing her round gaze on me.

"Sachi! Aren't you just the cutest? I'm Rubi," I say, pointing at my chest.

"Lu-bee," the girl repeats.

I laugh, and clap my hands. "Yes! And this Nee-chan is Irina. Try saying it?"

"Lina!" she exclaims, throwing her arms outward.

I shake my head. "Ee-Ree-naa."

"Eee-lina!"

"Yes!" I laugh, taking her small hands in mine and shaking them joyfully. "You did it! You did it!"

Sachi shrieks excitedly. "Ee-lina!"

"Cute," Irina mumbles, a soft look on her smiling face.

"Isn't she?" I ask, pinching Sachi's puffy cheeks as she swats at my hand.