#13.1 Ren

A sunny day

A sunny day. Moist grass under my feet. The school building rising in the distance. Kurumi-senpai standing before me, smile intact. A swell of something rosy—happiness—in my chest. Everything is so freaking perfect.

No.

Wait.

There's more. An abnormal pinkness to Senpai's cheeks, a restless energy in the air. Ah, shit. "I like you, Ren." The words echo around me in a way that is only possible in a dream, louder and louder each time they return. "I like you so much."

The world tilts a little. I'm sorry. I feel my mouth start to move, and I know what's going to come out, but I can't do anything to stop it. Because this already happened. Even so, I throw my arms forward in a fruitless attempt to hold this image in place. A sunny day. A smiling Kurumi-senpai. Then the words came out.

"You're kidding."

Everything goes up in flames.

I wake up in a sweat and jerkily kick the blanket covering me to the floor. It's...hot. So fucking hot. Is my house on fire? Am I on fire? I try to sit up, but my head is all groggy. My throat feels painfully dry, like heavy, hot coals have settled at the base of it. What is this?

I feel like shit.

An annoyingly shrill ringing fills my ears then, and it takes me a minute to place it as the doorbell, the noise responsible for waking me up in the first place. Huh? I move clumsily to get off the bed, and for an unreal moment, the world tilts again, by ninety fucking degrees. I feel my feet find the ground, and before I know it, I'm on my knees, violent coughs shaking out of me. What the fuck? This must be a dream. I must be dreaming right now.

The bell rings again, dissipating some of the haze that's trapping me.

School. Fuck, what time is it? I didn't go to school. I push myself up onto shaking legs. Has standing always been this much work? I have to go to school. If he finds out I skipped, he'll... I try to walk and catch myself on the wall. He'll kick me out. He doesn't like getting called in to school because of me; it disrupts his precious daily schedule.

The bell rings again and again.

My hand slips on the door knob, slick with sweat, but I manage to get the door open and drag myself down the stairs, my head pounding, my heart thrumming with nerves. But by the time I descend the last step, I can't remember what I'm nervous about anymore. Suddenly, thinking is too much work. Ah, fuck it.

I move to answer the door, my legs feeling like weights, and grip the handle, tearing it open. A hand instantly appears through the entrance, pressing up against my forehead. "Ren," a quivering voice breathes. "You're burning up."

"Hah?" I say, eyelids drooping.

"Where are your parents?" The voice asks, strained.

"What?" I mutter, frowning as my head starts to get heavier.