Chapter V: A Whole New Problem

The gates have been opened in Adagio's mind and now she can't stop thinking of that day. The scene of Sunset opening her gift replays in her mind, but now she needs to find a way to stay happy. This causes a new problem for her to face, but one she's resolved to deal with after Christmas, but will her mind let her stay content over the holidays?

DISCLAIMER: This story does contain mentions of alcohol, slight violence, the feelings that life isn't worth it and/or suicidal thoughts, fire, profanity, mentions of a gun, suicidal thoughts and attempts, and mentions of a snake. Overall, this is supposed to be a romance fiction, but if these things are not to your liking, I would urge you to click off this story.

This chapter is also not fully edited, so I do apologize if it has errors, but I did put my heart into this and I hope some of you will enjoy. Happy holidays!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter V: A Whole New Problem

A new type of game has to be played. Originally, the game was intended to gain back the power I once had, but now, the board has been flipped and a new tactic needs to be developed. The night's wind blows against my back harder than usual, and unfortunately, the clouds mask the stars and the moon itself, blocking the little light that may reveal the world around me. To be honest, I usually think about my own life on this familiar walk home, but tonight, as with most nights since then, I can't stop thinking of her. The memory of Sunset Shimmer opening that gift is... imprinted in my mind. That memory has been haunting almost each day of mine and I can't help but smile at the thought. Despite the ice covering the sidewalk, I'm able to walk without slipping once.

Looking down as I walk, I see my own reflection in the ice, the smile that doesn't let go of my face most times I think of Sunset is still there. Why do I feel so happy when I think of that moment...? Honestly, I should have been gone that night... There's no logical reason in my mind to be happy from Sunset's happiness. It cost me close to thirty dollars and she's the one who ruined my life. If anything, I would have expected me to feel even worse after she opened that damned box, but...

Seeing her bright cyan eyes widen with wonder and excitement made my heart pound. The slight tint of pink on those orange cheeks, the wave of her fiery hair... It was nice to see her happy, as confusing as it is. Honestly, it makes me go crazy at times, just trying to figure out why it affected me like that. It makes me want to get her another gift, but with the little money I have, I don't have anything to give...

One part of me is glad that I can't give her another gift. Sunset Shimmer is the bitch who took my life away and I'm wanting to reward that? Yet... another part of me feels excited at the thought of seeing her smile again. I can't help but think about the way Sunset's mouth tilted upward, how her bright eyes glowed with happiness, and how her hands oh so gently touched the gift... The more time that passes, the more I want to see it again. The more I just want to see that smile one more time.

Bringing my hand up to my hair, I gently scratch my head, more out of irritation than an actual itch. Honestly, as happy as it has made me to give Sunset a gift, I know this won't last... I'll need to find something less expensive to be happy. I suppose just finding out that I, Adagio Dazzle, can be happy in this world is the hardest part. I've successfully moved my piece to the desired space, now I just need to keep moving forward. The hardest part about this game of life is deciding where to go, which space to approach. In this case, my decisions are all invisible. I'm not sure what to do now. Unfortunately, with life being a game of chance, I may end up losing if I make the wrong choice...

I exhale all the air from my lungs, instantly taking a big breath and rubbing my left cheek with my hand. It finally doesn't sting anymore and the purple mark is gone, leaving no detectable mark on my face. Even the cut on the back of my head healed. I guess that in of itself warrants a smile from me. The only mark left from that night being the one in my mind. I shake my head slightly, walking past Halo Bakery with a smile. All of the stores are closed tonight, even the bakery since tomorrow is Christmas. A big holiday for everyone. I even have the day off tomorrow, so maybe I'll finally get a full night's sleep. Maybe it's just my smile or the fact that almost everything has healed, but I feel pretty good about life today, even if I can't think of what to do next. I suppose a full night's rest will help me make a decision, whatever that one might be. It's not like I have to be up early tomorrow, thankfully.