Chapter II: Deny or Accept

After her meeting with Sunset Shimmer, Adagio Dazzle walks home from her job at the nightclub, accompanied only by the regret of the past and her thoughts of the future. Little does she know, her life is about to be spun upside down and her outlook on life will forever change.

DISCLAIMER: This story does contain mentions of alcohol, slight violence, the feelings that life isn't worth it and/or suicidal thoughts, fire, profanity, mentions of a gun, suicidal thoughts and attempts. Overall, this is supposed to be a romance fiction, but if these things are not to your liking, I would urge you to click off this story.

This story was edited by H_phone001 on AO3!

Also check out PoisonClaw's profile for proofreading and editing my work on Fimfiction as well!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter II: Deny or Accept

The night's cold winds hit me harder than I expected at first. It's a cold and snowy night that tends to clear the streets of cars and ponies, other than the ones that have to be there. People. I need to correct that mistake. If not for my sanity, for my intellect. My hand comes to my head, gently rubbing my forehead. My intellect is all I have left after all. Around this time, the shining decorations are being hung up in shop windows and the usual charity workers ring their bells outside of popular places in town. Of course, they're in bright Santa Claus outfits most of the time. You can almost feel sorry for these suck ups, trying to spread charity in the bitter cold, but I feel like laughing instead. Perhaps it is the corniness of Hearth's Warming or the bright colors, but it is one of the few things that reminds me of Equestria. No. Wait. It's Christmas. Hearth's Warming and Christmas are so similar that I'm bound to mistake them. At least, that's what I try to tell myself.

As I walk down a particular sidewalk, I see posters strung up on a lamp post. They weren't in order, or even aligned along the post, but they had flashy colors and designs on them. Taking a closer look, I finally realize what they say and recoil in disgust. Of course these posters have the typical "Give the gift of Christmas!" and such. They always use the oldest lines in the book, when trying to sell their holiday products. One of them, advertising charity events at the Hooves Homeless Shelter, even said "Make your life a happy one by helping those in need." It is all one big scam. Ponies helping each other to have happy holidays and a good life. Some deal that is.

People. I keep making that mistake. Knowing my luck, this stupid species would end up changing their name right as I get used to calling them people. Either way, it still makes me want to vomit when I read this sappy stuff. I've seen too much of it in my life. If I had my powers, I could make everyone forget about this holiday. Alas, no such luck.

The sidewalk has a thin layer of ice formed over it, making it hard to grip onto the ice with my dollar store boots, though I suppose that comes with the territory. When someone shops at a dollar store, they should expect cheap materials. My arms shiver slightly due to the cold. I wish I still had scales. Then maybe I'd have some protection over this unforgivable frost. Before I could think more about the cold or about how sappy those posters are, a man stops me in my tracks.

"Hello, Miss! Would you care for a sample of homemade eggnog?" This man isn't technically new to the neighborhood and I have already gotten tired of his act. Every week, he has a new product to sell. Trying to make his way in the world I suppose? Either way, I don't care for it.

"Save it. I've already heard your bullshit. Move along." I move around him roughly as he follows me.

"But it's all homemade materials too! And organic! It isn't made with dairy products and-" Before he's able to finish, I stare into his eyes and grab the glass of eggnog he was holding, only to throw it down to the ground a second later.