Chapter 12

Diane ran after Harlequin. He was floating in a tree near the southern border.

"What did you hear?" Diane asked.

"Nothing!" Harlequin shouted.

"You clearly heard something. What was it?" Diane asked.

"It was nothing that would concern you." Harlequin answered.

"It has to do with the Dark Tree doesn't it?" Diane guessed.

"No." Harlequin replied.

"Then tell me what it was." Diane prodded.

"It was the voice of Helbram guiding me to my rightful throne." Harlequin said.

"Helbram? Rightful throne? What do you mean?" Diane asked.

"It means nothing. Helbram is guiding me, that's all." Harlequin said, dismissing Diane. Diane left to deal with some issues among the giants and Harlequin took this time to go to the Dark Tree, to fulfill the wishes of Kairos, the first Fae King.

He found the hole he had made uncovered. He assumed it was Sorrel and Liana and slid down in the hole he created. Kairos had explained a small portion of the Sacred Tree and Dark Tree's origins and how the spawn of the Sacred Tree were divided. He also learned that with every technicality in place Harlequin was the ruler of the Dark Realm. The Saint of the Fairy King's Forest was also the Fairy King or Queen and that rule had been left untouched since King Dahlia's time. Gloxinia was the rightful Fairy King as well as Saint to the Fountain of Youth. Dahlia was supposed to protect the Fountain of Youth, but instead of also protecting the Fountain of Youth, dumped the responsibilities on Gerheade's shoulders. So when it came time for the new batch of Fairies, Harlequin was marked the new Fairy King, but in truth Elaine was supposed to be the third Fairy King or first Fairy Queen.

He tried to use his Chastiefol to light the way like he did the last time, but he was unable to use his magic for anything but flight. He stumbled down the tunnel feeling the full effect of the power drain and when he found his way to the Dark Tree, welcomed the smooth bark under his fingertips, welcomed the sense of magic flooding back into his body, he even welcomed the pain that came with transforming into a Fae. The pain was dull at first, but it eventually spread up his arm and through his whole body. It felt like his skin would tear if anything more happened. He arched his back in pain as his wings sprouted anew from his back and in pain as his body returned to that of his Full Wings Form.

When it was over Harlequin was lying on the cavern floor panting. Two figures were standing over him.

"What happened?" Harlequin asked. His voice was hoarse from screaming but he managed to utter words.

"You transformed into a Fae. I am also surprised by your looks. Only Faez with rare eye colors are in contention for becoming king." The taller figure said.

"Who are you?" Harlequin asked.

"I'm Kairos. The first Fae King and this here is the second Fae King Cethin." Kairos said introducing himself and the other guy. Kairos was the taller guy and had black hair and silver eyes. Cethin had black hair and red eyes. Both of them looked sympathetic towards Harlequin.

"Come, you have much to learn." Cethin said.

"That should've been what Asra said to you." Kairos said.

"He barely lasted two days on the throne. Got overthrown by--" Kairos said. He didn't know how to finish the sentence.

"Who was he overthrown by?" Harlequin asked.

"You." Cethin finished. Harlequin was shocked. He had always been the Sacred Tree's king until now.

"A long time ago during the Holy War you were born. You were quickly placed into a role of leadership since Cethin was overthrown." Kairos explained.