Part 13

It was one of the usual days in the household of Mayuzumis.

One older man put out his white coat, casually hanging it on a rack beside the entrance door.

"I'm home." was his first greeting to the audience of the house.

The house was neat, small but enough for three people living under.

A woman was in the midst of preparing could tell that she was a housewife at night but an employee by day, judging the formal business attire but with an apron on.

From the kitchen, there was a hallway leading to the living room. An array of decorative stuff were placed on top of one long table ranging from small family portraits, solo pictures, a flower vase, a charger of phone, an ipad, clock, and group of plaques that had the name of Mayuzumi Mahiro printed on it. Though, the one that stood out the most was the gold-type plate that had the word Outstanding Physicist of the Year, National level, Mayuzumi Mahiro.

Then there was a child silently occupied by a book in the living room.

"Aha, Chihiro is reading a book again." Mayuzumi Mahiro beamed, peeking beside the shoulder of his son.

Although reading was a good hobby, he was worried that his son was spending too much time with random books instead of playing and socializing with other kids outside. He was afraid the kid would grow up secluded.

A slight nod followed by a "Welcome home." was heard from the child who bore the same facial features as him.

The older Mayuzumi squinted at the picture in the book, after all, the young one seemed so glued on that particular page.

"The moon again?" he mumbled while loosening his tie. Lately, he noticed his son was too absorbed in reading information about that heavenly object.

Chihiro only nodded.

Normally, Mahiro would leave the boy alone, as to not be a bother. However, he heard the boy suddenly speak. "There's a place in the moon that's called Sea of Tranquillity."

"...Is there now? Hmmm, are you interested?"

At a young age, he didn't quite understand the meaning behind that place but somehow it piqued his curiosity.

"...What does that word mean? Tranquillity?" he mused.

"..." Despite not being the most expert person when it came to the moon or any astronomical object, he was at least knew the meaning of that word.

"That means serenity and peace."

To think that even the moon had that kind of place. It was fascinating.

What would a place of peace be like?

In the picture, Chihiro couldn't really see anything extraordinary that would support the title. After all, there didn't seem to be anything in there except dust and rocks. A serene and peaceful place would be like a beautiful garden filled with nature and refreshing air.

Such place don't exist. The boy knew better not to be fooled.

Perhaps it was just a name and actually didn't mean anything.

"Don't you think it's nice? Makes you want to visit, right?" His father chuckled.

Without eyeing the man, Chihiro just gave a shrug, unimpressed and somehow in dismay.

"...only if it's real."

.

.

.