Part 18

The first time Akashi Seijuro realized how futile the emotion called fear was during a trip he had with his mother when he was only 7 years old.

Back then, he was never truly afraid of anything.

.

.

In an amusement park in Tokyo, the mother and son had a simple day out. Due to the nature of his father's business, going on and off at the country's capital was already a habit to the family. The fact that the head office of their company was also situated in Tokyo made this possible.

Some days when they were at the area, Akashi Shiori would casually bring Seijuro to some famous places meant for kids, like the Amusement Park.

Since Halloween was celebrated that time, she decided that it would be a good opportunity to bring the boy. It would also be a good change of atmosphere from the hectic studying that her son was having back at home.

While strolling inside, Seijuro suddenly paused his pace in front of a certain booth. It was a bit unusual, he thought. What were those masks doing there? It looked awful. The boy frowned.

One woman suddenly came out from the same booth, and made a peek-a-boo.

Seijuro winced only a little, that time, his fingers that were still slender and small, quickly gripped tightly to his mother's hand upon surprised.

Nevertheless, he remained still.

"What is it?" Shiori whispered. The gentle voice that she always had in her tone reminded the boy that there was nothing to be scared about.

So he recomposed his self and looked at the woman in his front. The stranger was wearing a long ragged white dress that had some red stains all over it. Her face, if it was in the eyes of a child, would be scary. There were like fresh wounds and bloody tears in the corner of her eyes, the make up artist that did it made a splendid job because it looked realistic.

Shiori knew her son too well. He liked to pretend brave and unfazed even though he was actually trembling in fear. Her husband never failed to remind him how he must act and carry his self all the time but she understood that Seijuro was only and still a child so it should be fine if he would be afraid of something such as this. Honestly, she liked Seijuro to experience natural moments like this.

She laughed, like the chirping of birds in one beautiful morning, it lightened the boy's senses.

"My dear, that is just a product of make up, and she is only wearing a costume."

"I know that very well mother." he mumbled, yet Shiori noticed how the boy suddenly loosened the grip from her hand upon that remark.

At that moment, Seijuro was reminded again. With her, nothing would be scary.

The woman in a white-lady costume pulled her head back and as if a sudden 'cut' from the director was shouted, she dropped the act and smiled normally. "Heh, your son is cool! Other kids would be crying and shouting 'Mommy!' when they see me."

Shiori covered her mouth and laughed. "He would."

"I don't." Interrupted by the kid.

"Ohhh..." The lady was amazed, completely buying the strong and collective aura that the boy was giving. "Why don't you try our horror house then, boy?"

Shiori blinked towards her son. "Hmm, What about that?"

Seijuro stared at the lady.

Did he really have to? But the lady was waiting for his answer.

If he refused, would that be fine?

He looked up at the face of his mother. She was looking at him as if she knew that he could definitely do it if he wanted. His mother believed in him. Or even if he didn't, it would be okay too. "I'll come as well."