Chapter 37

Chapter Thirty- Seven

Gage tried to shrug out of Jeb's grip but to no avail, he grunted as Jeb dragged him. He hadn't even spoken to him when Gage had appeared at the kitchen and found Jeb and the two other men waiting for him.

“Empty your pockets.” Jeb ordered. Gage furrowed his eyes but dug his hand into his left pocket and pulled out the padlock from the clear case that had held the Kiss statue hostage.

“What is that from?” Jeb asked him.

“This,” Gage set the statue down on the table infront of him. He tugged his arm out of Jeb's grip and glanced his way. “Is a padlock and this is-” he stopped when Lillith interrupted him.

“You nearly blew your cover for a decoration?” Lillith questioned, her voice a barking noise. Gage smirked her way.

“It holds sentimental value.” He bit back.

“I don't care if it is the key to Pandora's box; you could have gotten yourself and the rest of us killed. Do you not realise the weight of these thick risks you take?” Jeb scolded. Gage didn't speak for a moment. When Lillith scoffed and forced her arms over her chest she turned her back to everyone while Jeb's gaze glared over Gage.

“Listen, there's no point in you giving me a lecture; what is done is done. There is no going back.” Everyone in the dining hall was silent.

“You should head over with Anton; Faith needs an alibi.” Jeb ignored Gage as he spoke to Lillith. She reluctantly nodded and scowled at Gage as she started towards the door with a shorter man that could only be Anton.

“Everyone leave.” Jeb ordered. Gage sighed and sat against the table as everyone complied and left him and Jeb alone. “Mr. Welker I am not going to waste my breath arguing with you; you and I are both too stubborn,” Jeb ran his ran over his hair and then folded both his arms across his chest.

“But I do want you to realise the danger you could have put-”

“I'm not afraid of Eragon.” Gage assured him.

“You misunderstand me. I don't give a shit about you, Mr.Welker. The only reason we are keeping you here is because the person who can save this nation happens to be in love with you.” Jeb told him. Gage stayed silent. “Today you put young Faith in danger. By exposing yourself, you exposed her. If my men hadn't gotten through that door in the kitchen and found Faith and disposed of them guards, you could've gotten her killed aswel as the rest of us.” Now Gage set his eyes on the ground.

“Is she okay?” From the corner of his eye, Gage saw Jeb nod his head.

“And we got the medical packs into Persephone, regardless of teh orders I had given to you.”

“With your orders Alec would have beld to death and who knows what would have happened to Persephone!” Gage argued. Jeb didn't go to retaliate. Instead he only regarded him.

“Either way, we have taken care of it all.” Jeb started towards the door. He placed his hand on the wood and handle.

“How is Persephone now?” Gage called out to him. Jeb paused and looked over his shoulder at him. He clenched his jaw as Gage did.

“You should see for yourself.” Gage's stomach dropped to his knees and he could feel himself going pale.

Gage paced back and forth as they watched the Tournaments on the television screen.

“Welker, sit down.” Jeb called. He ignored the order and kept his pace. Each time to reached one end of the room, he continued to walk back to the other side. The others dodged him each time he crossed as they tried to exit and enter through the room.