Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

“LET ME DOWN!” Sephy yelled at Gage when they reached a lake. Gage ignored her.

“Okay, well at the bottom of this, there's an entering pad.” He told the others. He looked at the lake and could already see that the flesh eating fish were gathering near the surface.

“Well the next one is miles away. And we have no idea how to get there from here.” Jensen said. They all thought for a minute.

“I can probably get us to the next one. The desert shouldn't be too far from here. We find our way to the opening, we'll be able to make it to the desert in minutes.” Alec stepped up.

“I AM NOT LEAVING!” The captive over Gage's shoulder yelled at him. Gage sighed but didn't let Sephy down from his shoulder.

“Okay, let's let Alec lead the way. There is still another contestant to be killed. We just need to concentrate on getting ready when the time comes. We don't want to be left behind.” Sephy snorted.

“Speak for yourself...” She muttered but stopped thrashing around.

“Which way is it to the opening, Gage?” Gage looked around and tried to remember the way he had taken to lead in to Kapaneus's body and ultimatly, to the opening. To pointed and then thought for a moment.

“I took that route. But it will take hours. I have a feeling that over there,” he pointed to where he had found tracks the first time entering, “will be alot faster.” They all agreed and began following Alec through the forest.

It took 2 hours to move hastly through the forest until they got to the opening. Gage could see the stain of where Kapaneus's body had been. Although the body was removed, or eaten, the blood was still marking his place of death. All of them were out of breath and slowed to stop. The forests hills and tall bushes had made it hard for them to move fast.

“It will only take us the guts of an hour to get to the entering pad now.” Alec told them all. Gage nodded and stood at the edge of the opening.

Sephy fell from Gage's shoulder and hit the ground hard. She muttered insults under her breath and stood up. She could almost feel the annoyance coming from Gage. He was still mad at her for what she had said, and she did regret saying it now that she had calmed down. She still couldn't believe that Eragon would do such a thing as to trick her into believeing her sister killed herself.

Some part of Sephy still thought that what she saw was real. She had once been certain that she knew her sister like she knew herself; inside and out. But after falling for Eragon's well planned trick, she began doubting herself.

“We just have to go through here.” Alec explained as Sephy picked herself off the ground. She rubbed the sand from her legs. This time they would not need to search for the loophole, they could easily see it.

“Will we be able to hear the announcment in there?” Jensen asked him. Alec shook his head.

“No. It's sound proofed.”

“So, one of us will have to stay here and listen?” Gage asked and Alec nodded. Sephy spoke now.

“I'll do it.” She volunteered.

“No you will not.” Gage said and turned back to the others, taking Sephy's hand in his, as if it were a lead for a bad dog. She pouted and sighed.

“I'll do it.” Alec suggested. “I'll be the fastest other than Gage, and you have your hands full with...eh...other things.” Alec said and glanced between Sephy and Gage.