Chapter 24- Part Three;Royal Flush to Ace

Part Three

Royal Flush to Ace.

Chapter Twenty-Four

Gage slid as quietly as he could off of the bed. He wasn't sure what time it was or how long he had slept for, but the sun was shining brightly through the curtains, sending yellow rays of light across the room. He tied his shoe laces and pulled his jacket over his shoulders. His eyes drifted to Sephy for a moment of adoration, who lay sleeping, her arm over the side of the blanket, breathing lightly, in and out, in and out. Crossing the room to the door, Gage stepped onto a creaking board and spun around quickly to see Sephy stirring until she opened one of her eyes and looked at him.

“Hey.” Gage whispered to her. She looked a little dizzy and then focused on him.

“You going?” He bobbed his head up and down but put his hands out to her as she began getting up.

“You stay here.” He told her. She hesitated before pulling her legs back under the blanket.

“We didn't..eh..you know..?” He smiled at her as she rubbed her eyes, wondering how much did she actually remember?

“No, we didn't.” She sucked in a breath of air and fell back onto her pillow, nodding along.

“I guess I'm just so tired I can't remember anything after we got back.” Gage welled up with glee. She remembered the rooftop. The smile that played across her lips sent him into a whirlwind.

“Yeah, go back to sleep. I won't let them start anything without you.” He assured her as her eyes began to close already.

“Thank you.” She muttered, drifting away.

In Galen's office, Gage prepared himself for the lecture of the century. So he had snuck out to go to the wrek room, then to meet with Sephy and so he never came back. Nothing happened to him. Well, not nothing, just nothing of what they would think. Galen stood infront of him, glowering as if he had a stick up is butt. He had a right he be annoyed with Gage, but it didn't mean Gage wanted to stand there and listen to it.

“Somebody is wearing the same clothes they left in!” Clint teased him, prodding his eggs with his fork. Gage couldn't help but smile.

“You do realise that you are wearing the same clothes as yesterday aswell, right?” Gage asked him. Clint chuckled and swallowed his mouth full of food.

“Where's Persephone?” Alec stood from Andrew's side, smiling aswell.

“In her room. She stayed there last night.” He explained.

“Did you stay with her?” Joshua's bemused face made Gage laugh.

“Yes.” He answered, simply. Boys will be boys, he knew. After that, he ignored all of Clint's comments and Joshua's probbing questions. He sat and pulled his shirt over his shoulders without unbuttoning it. All of the dressing on his back was due to be changed, yet again.

“What's the time?” He wondered.

“Half twelve. You must of had a late night.” Clint smirked from the other side of the room. Gage picked up a spoon from where he sat and flung it in his direction.

“Do I have to say it again? Nothing happened.” He felt Galen ripping off the bandages roughly, not taking any care this time. “You alright, Doc?” He called over his shoulder.

“Just peachy.” He said with gritted teeth. The room was silent as Galen's anger was sent out in waves across the room. He tugged on Gage's back a few more times until all of the dressing was gone.

“There's hardly a scratch on you.” Alec said, amazed. Gage couldn't feel anything in his back now. No pain. Nothing. He smiled as he realised that the effects were wearing off. The feeling of pain had come as such a shock to him. Maybe he was at a major disadvantage when he couldn't any of it. If he was to be struck by it again in an Arena, he wouldn't be prepared like the rest of them. He never wanted to feel pain that he had at the whipping again. Ever.