Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty-Five

Sephy, Gage, Clint and Alec each stood alongside eachother among the other contestants. Everyone wore big jackets, having figured the next Arena out by themselves. Except for a couple of unfortunates. Sephy wore the big green jacket over her bow and sheath along with several other nessecities that she figured she would need; first aid kit with the flammable bandages stocked inside, some food. She had a hat on, her hair in two plaits and snow goggles sitting on the top of her head that would allow her to see through the blizzard. Everyone looked much bigger in the puffy clothes and most of them had already begun to sweat.

“Persephone!” Sephy furrowed her brows and turned around to see Damian leaping over to her. Very little bruising was left on his face, barely noticable under the thick make-up.

“Oh, here we go.” Clint muttered under his breath, spotting him. He pulled Sephy into his embrace and didn't let her go.

“Damian, this is not the time!” She told him. He scoffed, looking at her in disbelief.

“But I haven't seen you in-”

“She said that it's not the right time.” Gage warned Damian, standing to Sephy's side. He regarded Gage with a bit of fear in his eyes and then left.

“You didn't have to do that.” She scolded him. Gage shrugged. His eyes flickered to something behind her and she turned. Jensen was strolling up behind her, a green jacket over his shoulders. Their group and Jensen were only five out of nine people who went for the green jackets. Sephy pondered whether or not them nine people would be the ones left at the end of the Arena.

“I hope you are ready.” He said. Sephy smiled at him, falsely and nodded.

“Of course.”

“Watch your back, yeah?” He said to Gage now.

“I'll be watching yours.” Gage threatened and waited for him to return back to Brutus, Neon and Swithin.

“It's going to be cold out there. Probably dark too. Are you all ready?” Alec asked the three of them. They each exchanged glances and nodded.

“Let's do it.” Eragon's voice began to play over the speakers, the anger and annoyance slipping out of control as he spoke to the public. Sephy felt a slight shutter as the plate they stood on began to lift upwards. They others stood a little more sturdy.

A cool breeze swept in around her ankles and made its way up her until she felt cold goosebumbs rise on her cheeks. She pulled the hat down futher to cover her ears and wrapped her scarf tighter, having difficulty with her gloves.

“You are going to need these.” Alec passed masks over to them that would wrap around their faces and keep them warm. Sephy pulled her scarf off again and sighed as she tried to fix the mask on to her. It was a little big for her, but it would definatly help, a mouth hole cut out. She struggled some more with the big gloves as she tried to fix the scarf again.

“Let me.” Gage said, his gloves between his teeth. His hands worked until her scarf covered her neck and chest. He zipped her jacket up and put his gloves back on, popping the collar of his jacket and shaking his arms and legs out, warming himself up as more wind surrounded them.

“Thanks.” She mumbled through the mask. She still wasn't able to look at him the same. She could barely keep eye contact with Gage, but her thoughts revolved only around him.

As they all reached the surface, all of the contestants exchanged looks of discomfort, even with their enemies. There was only open land covered in snow and under that, thick layers of ice, sixteen inches thick. Splitting the area in half, a mountain range was barely noticable in the distance. Sephy cherished the last moments before the chute around them would disappear and they would be plunged into the cold.