Chapter 39-FINAL CHAPTER

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Sephy followed the directions that Joshua had given her, exactly; they didn't have enough time to miss a turn or take a detour. They zig-zagged through the twisting hallways, passing each oak door and diamond handle. Red lights flashed over their heads as they rushed through the throng of people, some Eragon's employees and others riotors yelling in triupmhancy as they spotted herself and Alec.

“We need to get there faster!” Sephy shouted to Alec over the loud yells of the citizens. She shoved her way through the crowd, ignoring the sweating hands reaching out to her. Alec grabbed a hold of Sephy's wrist and pulled her towards him as he veered right at a junction.

“This way will be quieter!” he told her as they rushed through the people.

“How do you know?!” She demanded to know, coming to a hault. One wrong turn and they would miss their chance, she knew that. Alec stopped for a split second to speak to her.

“Believe me, I've seen the plans for this place, remember?” She had no recollection of being told so, but she didn't have time for a debate.

“Okay.” She followed after him as he dissappeared through a door and closed it behind him.

“Who do you think let the riotors in?” Alec called over his shoulder as he yanked another door open that led them out of the dark, empty living room. The dark curtains were pulled back from the window, giving Sephy and Alec a full view of the streets outside; there was havoc. Citizens and guards were fighting one another while others ran through the gates of the mansion. The sun was still high in the sky as shots rang out from the guns in the guards' hands.

“I have a feeling I know who done it..” Sephy muttered under her breath, imagining the rebel forces coming up with a daring plan like this. Something told her, however, that there was someone greater behind it all.

In the deserted hallway, Alec and Sephy ran under the flashing lights. She followed behind Alec as he followed the paths he had memorised from the map he had seen. When he stopped, Sephy continued forward, only to be held back by him. She looked at him in frustration and tried to tugt her wrist from his hand.

“You take the three on the left, I'll take the three on the right.” He told her and let go. When they rounded teh corner that he had retreated from, Sephy saw the six guards that Alec had been speaking about. Like all of the other guards, they were each over six foot tall and were dressed in black, their heads either shaved completely or else has little hair grown.

None of them spoke, only grunted, as they spotted the two of them. Quickly, Sephy glanced at Alec and nodded to him. He smiled at her and took a step forwards. Sephy braced herself as she took her side of the deal and headed towards the three guards that blocked her way.

Dodging under the arm of the first guard, Sephy put herself between the three of them. The adrenaline running through her veins gave her more strength then she thought she ever had, allowing her to make one of the guards stagger backwards as she punched him. Pain shot through her fist, but she ignored it and swung her leg around just in time to kick another guard in the chest. He howled in pain as Sephy pulled a glass photo frame off the wall and smashed it over the top of his head. The shards of glass went crashing onto the ground, the picture that inhabited it breaking into pieces around the guard.

She didn't have time wince away the pain of the glass penetrating her arm before she had to reef it out of her skin and drop it to the ground and defend herself from the fist of the other guard. She fell on her back as the guard's fist made contact with her stomach and with the force of the blow, she tumbled backwards. She crawled to her feet and stood up, facing him with a large shard of glass between her fingers. The guard didn't even blink when she tried to stick the glass into his forearm; his armour protecting him.