eleven.

You were once again in front of the magical walls of La Casa Madrigal, a place you had avoided for over three days. You couldn't decline your friend's request for help. Despite the details risking the chance to reconcile properly with the Madrigals, not that you thought about it and planned your little show asking for forgiveness, no, you had to muster up your courage to help Mirabel uncover the secrets that is harming the miracle.

The single sound of a hand reaching the face of Camilo Madrigal echoed in the Casita, filtered by gasps and the sound of thunder rumbling through the air from Pepa. You had did the unthinkable, the last thing you had never thought you'd do.

You had slapped his face.

His cheek had a red mark that resulted from the impact of your hand that was painfully visible. You were seething of anger as his eyes had tiny tears forming at the corner because of the stinging sensation your action led to.

"You.." Your breathing hitched. "You d-don't get to say that. My mother took you in when things were tough for you."

He didn't speak nor utter a single word. He just stared at you, finally realizing the weight of his actions that affected your relationship he so diligently tried to keep all these years.

"What a nasty way to say thank you,"

Did he mean what he said? Well, now you were sure he practically hated you. And you, did you mean what you did? No. Like what Mirabel said before, the heat of the moment.

"Psst," It wasn't easy trying to be out of twelve eleven people's field of visions. You never knew you would be glad to get dragged back into the kitchen again. "over here."

Mirabel had found the perfect chance to sneak you in, opening a back door and ushering you to hurry up. You, of course, happily complied. Who would want to be outside for more than ten minutes, knowing that you'll be severely reprimanded for your mistakes once you're caught? Some masochist might like it, but not you, right..?

Finally entering the house, you begged the casita to not let any other Madrigal member know about your whereabouts. "Please, I'll scrub your tiles until its shiny once we're all done with this."

It was the opposite of a persuasive offer but it somehow took it. Turns out, it wouldn't even have spoke a single word even if you did nothing to try and please it.

The house really looked empty. It was time for the morning rounds of the Madrigals, by rounds, meaning their daily routine of scattering themselves around the town and offer their help to the people who need it. Even Antonio was trying his best to be of assistance.

"Hurry, this way," Mirabel led the way up the stairs. You reluctantly followed her, still remaining cautious about your steps. You didn't want to risk anything at this point, so you had to be careful.

She led you to a tilted portrait by the corridor parallel to Alma Madrigal's room. Two large vases with tall plants covered the empty space, hiding the fact that it was on the verge of falling.

"It's here, this'll lead us to-" Mirabel turned to you to properly explain what this painting kept. But to her surprise, there was a figure staring at your back forlornly yet puzzled at your appearance. "Oh no."

Distraught was painted all over Mirabel's face. It was unusual for her to suddenly do that, well, for anyone it is weird to suddenly stop mid-sentence and add an 'oh no'. You could only guess that there was someone behind you as you heard small footsteps gradually get louder, indicating the distance between you and that mystery person was closing in.

You assumed the worst, "It's your Abuela, isn't it?" an exasperated sigh escaped your lips. Before you could see the frantic shaking of Mirabel's head, you pivoted your heels and inhaled sharply.