nine.

The way up to the La Casa Madrigal was silent, your sister following from behind like a puppy who has been deprived by its owner of its toys. The reason why Adriana obediently act in accordance to your wishes all these years was mainly because she was scared of your face whenever you were enraged.

She was so used to your calm and motherly demeanor, taking your mother's place as the caretaker of your family as you were well-taught around the practices. Well, self-taught.

"Sis?" Adriana meekly called, earning a grunt from the sibling in front of her. They stopped on the middle of the path, the people passing by paid no mind as they just assumed it was one of those common sibling arguments.

"What?" You spat coldly.

Adriana never expected you to react this way. If she knew that she and Diana would have never took her joke seriously, they wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

"I don't know why you're mad."

"You told your conflicted friend a joke about leaving home, you rode along as she went serious, you attempted to go through the forest and leave Encanto for good, and all that without even telling me!" You exclaimed, eyes widening and breathing visibly quickening as your sister watched you speak. "Do you know how much sleep I got?"

"An hour .. ?" Adriana knew it in herself that speaking back would only fuel your flame.

"ZERO HOURS." You exclaimed, trying to clearly make out your point. You rubbed your temples and tried out the method you saw Señorita Pepa use on herself when she was thundering back in the nursery. "Clear skies, clear skies, clear skies."

Your sister knew all too clearly she was at fault for bringing up the topic to Diana. They went missing for a day and never even bothered to remember their family that they left behind. "I'm sorry." She apologized, bowing her head all the while feeling remorseful.

"I'm just--you got hurt. You left me alone in the house, what if Papá suddenly pops out of nowhere and finds you before I do?" The creases on your forehead was painfully visible as you furrowed your brows together. A frown stuck unto your face, watching your sister raise her body to look at you properly.

"Papá isn't coming back,"

"But he could."

"He won't."

Your father had mysteriously disappeared years ago after the confrontation with the help of the Madrigals. It didn't really leave you unfazed even when Alma Madrigal made sure to always have a family member close by your house as a precaution. That was mainly the cause as to why you formed a bond with the Madrigal grandkids.

Despite that, during the evening there's not always a secure situation. Your father could find ways to sneak in and abduct you and your sister at the very moment you let down your guard, he could come and wreck your home and use you as bait to finally take his revenge against the town who separated his family from him by force.

During the night your sister went missing, the thought haunted you even more. They went into the forest, a possible place your father could've seeked refuge in.

"Just, please," you pleaded, "don't run off so mindlessly ever again." Your sister was aware of the trauma your father inflicted on your young mind.

You were always there for her, even during that day. It was no wonder why you were always protective of your older sister, even if it reached lengths. You had experienced the loss of a mother and a father, yet you still shrugged them off with a serious façade as you kept your sister safe from harm.

Adriana hugged her sister who teared up infront of her, sniffling and shaking from being upset. "Alright, alright. I won't do it again." She cooed, making you a little bit less perturbed about the incident. Your eyes trailed down to your sister's arms filled with fresh wounds after pulling away from the warm embrace.