fourteen.

"Hey, hey, remember Mariano?" 

Camilo looked at you, practically a bouncing ball of happiness. While the Madrigals were occupied with the task of searching for Mirabel and cleaning up the mess that came with the disastrous proposal, you were occupied with the task of entertaining the shapeshifter by listening to his continuous chatter and occasional teasing. 

Were you bothered? Not at all, it's been a while since the two of you really talked freely like this. After Antonio's gift ceremony, things started to go haywire; with the cracks and all. 

Frankly, his bubbly personality and comforting presence was most needed when times are stressful. You don't entirely forgive him for the previous incident, but alas, could you really keep yourself away from this adorable bundle of joy? Wait, 'adorable'? 

Anyway, the afternoon sky was getting kind of dark, so you took it as a signal to retreat back into the inner structure of the magical house with a shapeshifter following you from behind. "What about him?" You respond to his earlier question, glancing towards him by turning your head slightly. 

"My príma, Isabela," He snorted. "Smashed his nose like a squashed papaya." 

You rolled your eyes at what this teenager found hilarious as he stifled a laugh, expecting your response to be that of something that found the situation funny. His attempts were only met with a small giggle. Better than nothing, right? 

"Isn't his proposal like, I don't know. Important to your family's future or something?" You asked, barely recalling the words your sister told you that originated from the one and only Alma Madrigal. 

The Guzmans' arrangement with the Madrigals were mainly because of Mariano's crush and admiration for their perfect grandchild, Isabela. Alma only encouraged it because she was aware of the minimal amount of time she has left to roam this world. They had to pass on gifts to a new generation eventually, and how could that happen if none of their grandchildren found a perfect partner to match? It just so happens that the oldest grandchildren are Dolores and Isabela, both twenty-two years old. Isabela being the oldest by a few months. Luisa follows them by nineteen, Camilo and Mirabel by fifteen, and finally Antonio by five. 

With Isabela being the oldest, she was deemed as the successor of the candle and had to have children to make the miracle stronger. 

"Yeah, it is. But who knows, maybe my sister will get married first." Camilo shrugged. "Knowing my Abuela, she has high hopes for Isabela. It's going to be tough escaping that anytime soon." 

He was actually aware of the crush Dolores had on Mariano, he pities her for having to push down her feelings for the sake of making the family and Abuela happy. Everyone knew how treasured Isabela was, considering that she looked similar to a younger Alma, and her movements depicted those of elegance and grace, with her role as the oldest grandchild, it's sort of clear why she had that sort of pressure. 

"By the way, how are you and Diego?" He asked. Man, if only he could feel pity for himself. But to his surprise, you released a nonchalant hum accompanying your shrug. 

"Eh, he's dating Adriana." 

The news caught the poor shapeshifter aback, making him choke on air as he shifted into Diego, Adriana, and you in a split second. After his small choking incident was over, his face was out of proportion. Eyes darting away from each other, mouth hanging on his chin for dear life, the overall sight of him looking like a disfigured clay being made you laugh. 

"Oh god, 'Milo, your face." You pointed at his face, to which he immediately responded by shaking his head furiously to return his figure back to normal. If only you brought a camera with you.