fifteen.

There was nothing left of the once magical house. 

Pipes were poking out in between blocks of concrete, wooden structures smashed to bits, remnants of the doors that represented each one’s gift broken to pieces, picture frames shattered to the floor, and a devastated family who shared a look of disbelief with each other.

You grunted as your leg felt numb, the wound being the cause. Camilo moved slightly to raise his head, only then realizing your position. You fell on top of him when the floor pushed everyone outside. Your hands rested on his chest as your legs rested in between his, one of his arms were wrapped around your back tightly, as if you would be swept away by the wind anytime soon. 

A faint blush rose to your cheeks. 

You would've stayed there to examine his features longer, but there was someone left inside that broken house that was unable to escape at the right time.

 In a flurry of mixed emotions, you scrambled off of Camilo to get back on your feet, stumbling a little as you did, and rushing over to the pile of chairs and cabinets that shielded Mirabel from the possible injuries she could have gotten. 

He knew he couldn't stop you if you looked so determined, he might only cause you to slip if he yanked you to his side and stopped you from moving. And with reluctancy, he went off to find his mother not so far away from your destination. He made sure you were remaining in his sight as much as possible. 

"M-Mirabel!" You struggled to walk properly, the injury on your knee restricting your movements as drops of blood fell onto the debris scattered around the proximity. 

Julieta had just finished checking on her daughter before being called by her sister, Pepa, to help them with possible mishaps on their family by using her gift. To which they later discovered had already disappeared. "(Y/N), dear, your knee." The kind woman showed sympathy for your state; forcing yourself to move despite the obvious discomfort etched on your facial features. 

You could only offer a smile to the woman, thanking her for even caring about your condition. "I'll be fine, tía Julieta. I need to talk to Mirabel." She nodded understandingly to which you mentally thanked her for. 

She was always such a kind-hearted woman, sister, and mother. She had a perfect gift that suited her personality of being a compassionate person. Being the town's doctor was no easy task, especially if they keep on bothering you with requests and special demands. It's amazing how she could prepare batches of food and head out everyday to pass them out, it's wonderful how much she cares about her family. 

Knowing that she could heal, it was no mystery why they looked at her first for medical assistance. Their expectations were met with a disappointing reality, the magic was nowhere to be found. Isabela tried to make a flower bloom at the palm of her hand, but to no avail. Luisa desperately attempted to push away a large piece of concrete, meeting with failure to let alone lift a bag of bricks. Camilo tried to shift a hand, his face, anything, but only stared at his body in disbelief. 

"My power's gone." He told his father who looked at him with worry. "What about Antonio? What's he going to do?" He felt sorry for his little brother who just got his own gift taken away from him in a short period of days. 

Of course, Mirabel could only weep silently  in solitude by the small den the Casita made before its downfall, hugging herself as a comfort mechanism. This was her fault, her family was in panic because of her. If she had just stayed put none of this would have happened. 

"Mirabel," Finally reaching your friend, you found yourself falling to the ground and catching your breath. There were a few obstacles caused by the incident that stood between you and your friend, making you exert more energy into avoiding sharp edges and rough surfaces in case your injuries get worse. "Are you okay?"