sixteen.

Your mother was a kind soul, a warm flame that burned brighter everyday. It always amazes you how she can easily lend a hand to others, earning her the town's respect. Her everlasting generosity and empathy was one of the reasons the Madrigals respected you and your family, on numerous occasions, it had been her who lent them a hand. 

Although being her daughter and inheriting her stunning looks, you weren't quite the same in terms of forgiving others. Yes, you were kind and sympathetic, but facing people who have continuously hurt those you loved, you can be quite stubborn. It wasn't like you were expecting the old woman to apologize to you upfront, she didn't seem like the type to do so. Instead, the most you expected from her were blame and disappointment. 

You stood in front of Alma confidently. What was the use of trembling in fear for this woman who bluntly insulted you using your parents? Who hurt one of your best friends? She didn't deserve an ounce of emotion. "What?" You spat, voice laced with impatience. 

Alma predicted nothing less from your reaction. Your anger was reasonable, she had made it undeniably clear that the relationship between the two of you had been nothing but arguments and simple acknowledgements. 

"Spare me a moment of your time," She refused to look at you, eyes glued to the ground. "Please." 

Before even being given the chance to harshly refuse her request, the sudden change in her attitude and tone somehow confused you. All these times of conversing with Alma always led to chaos, it didn't seem like a good sign to talk with her like this again. But if she really meant it .. alright. 

With a heavy sigh you sat beside her. The woman was internally grateful for the simple gesture. "What do you want to say? Just be direct." You demanded, not bothering to even give a drop of respect. She already lost it days ago, how could she expect you to act polite and dainty when she had crossed the line first? 

"I'm sorry." 

Alma was eternally regretful for what she had done. But it's not like she could reverse time, she doesn't have that gift. 

"For?" You had to hear her full apology, even without sparing her a glance. The older woman sighed and slumped in her seat. 

Sliding her hand in her pocket, she held out a folded piece of paper and handed it over to you. It was crinkled and yellow-ish, signifying that it had been kept in some place for a significant amount of time. 

"I don't accept bribery." You said bluntly. Alma released a small chuckle and pushed the paper on your chest gently. The paper was a bit thin, giving you a bit of a sneak-peek about its contents. There were some letters you couldn't really make out because of its folded appearance. "What is this?" 

Alma smiled softly, eyes half-closed as she anticipated your reaction. "A gift from your mother, she told me to give it to you when you've turned fifteen," What bothered you was how she didn't give this on your exact birthday date. 

"Why didn't you—"

"It was Antonio's night, I had forgotten," She admitted knowing full well what was going to be released out of your mouth. Truthfully, Alma was busy indulging herself with the responsibility of handling the preparations and schedules to make sure the town wasn't anxious about the gift ceremony nor the Encanto. Even if she had given her best efforts to make that night perfect for her grandson, the magic still faded because of her ignorance. 

A letter from your mother? Why? And why did she specifically leave a single letter for your fifteenth birthday? Did she expect to leave so soon? On your mother's deathbed, was she so devastated to leave you she wrote this for when you've moved on? Did she want to leave something behind? Maybe you're overthinking this, it's just a silly letter. Moreover, did you even want to know?