Chapter Two: Sir Chevalier and Sir Gaillard

At the market, near the castle of Norway……

‘Princess Jannicke, have you heard about the coming tournament?’ said my servant. I shook my head while frowning at the girl. I have no interest in such violent thing but father have never failed to make me watch with him. He would cheer and clap as I watch those men fight like a mad man. My servant knows very well how much I hated the tournament, so why would she mention it to me. ‘There would be two new knights from coming to fight!’ She said to me gleefully but I showed no interest. She shrugged and held my hands tightly. ‘My lady, they are the most handsome men I have ever seen.’ She said as her eyes sparkled with happiness.

That churned my curiosity. Would these two men be able to catch my eyes? None of the men in this kingdom could make me feel for them, but would one of these two men be able to? I wonder.

‘Give way!’ The soldier shouted as he pushed the people to the side. One of them quickly bowed the moment they see me. My servant glared at the soldier as she guides me out of the crowd. A loud squeaking noise broke through the noisy crowd. Everyone, including me turned towards the big gate. ‘Clock, clock, clock.’ The noise of horses’ shoes hitting against the cold hard stone floor. Three of the castle guard sat up straight with much pride as they escorted the two men behind them. Two flags waved at the people with the symbol of the Devil’s scythe. Fear grew within me.

‘Brother, so this is the famous Norwegian kingdom?’ A handsome voice said which made me swirl around to see who it was. A man with beautiful blonde shaggy hair with tired ice blue eyes nodded to the other man who had the handsome voice. Oh, boy. I had never seen such handsome man before. It wasn’t the one with a handsome voice but the one with those tired ice blue eyes.

‘My lady, that is Sir Sebastian Chevalier and his brother, Sir Lucian Gaillard.’ My servant said. I frowned in confusion. ‘Why are they brothers when they have different names?’ I asked in confusion. The servant nodded. ‘They aren’t true brothers. Sir Chevalier is Sir Gaillard’s cousin. His father died when he was a kid, so Lord Gaillard took him in like a son. Ever since then, they are like brothers.’ She explained. I turned to looked at her with suspicion. ‘How in the world do you know so much about them, Gwen?’ I asked. She giggled and I got the message.

Their horses stop before me as I did not give way. All I could do was to stare straight into Sir Chevalier’s ice blue eyes. There were no emotions even though he was staring straight into me. It was as though he was staring straight through me, like I wasn’t there. ‘Will you move aside, beautiful lady? I wouldn’t want you to get hurt.’ Sir Gaillard said with his charming voice.

‘Princess Jannicke!’ The soldier said in shock as he quickly scrams down his horse along with the other soldiers. Sir Gaillard grins at me flirtatiously and got down of the horse with much grace and bowed elegantly. I couldn’t help myself but stared at how his muscle moves when he bowed. ‘You are as beautiful as rumored, Your Grace.’ He said in his charming tone. ‘I am Lucian Gaillard. I would serve you forever and always, Your Grace.’ He added. I thought that my heart would leap but no, instead my stomach was filled with butterflies. I looked back at the other knight on the horse. I found the knight sat up straight with his head held high and his piercing ice blue eyes looking down at me like I am an ant. It made my blood boiled but at the same time, it made me feel crazy. It was as though I want his acknowledgement. I could see how small I am in front of him.

‘Brother! Come down!’ Sir Gaillard said in a tone of slight annoyance but he grin back at me. The knight did not move. He gave the horse a beat and the horse begins moving away from me and towards the castle. He did not even look at me.

‘I am sorry for my brother’s behavior, Your Grace. My brother has a foul temper.’ Sir Gaillard said. ‘Do you want a ride back to the castle, my lady?’ He asked. I wanted to but my people would never allow it.

‘Thank you, Sir Gaillard. But I would have to decline that offer.’ I said and turned away with my servant. I heard him laugh but I did not want to turn back and show him my discomfort.

‘What an arrogant brat!’ My servant said in annoyance. I giggled at her words but nodded in agreement.

Everyone in the castle is busy with getting ready for tonight’s ball. The maids run up and down the hallway, evading every person blocking their way. My servant and I walk back to my chambers to get ready for tonight. Tonight’s ball is like a party for welcoming all the knights from this realm and my father demanded for my presence for tonight’s ball. But what good will a lady like me does in a ball full of men with sweaty armors? They would have their honor talk where I would sit in a corner and boringly go through the whole night until I can find some excuse to leave.

My servant stopped dressing me up when she heard someone talking outside of my chamber. Even I walked closer to the door to eavesdrop on their conversation. From the conversation, I could tell that there are two servants gossiping once again. It’s always fun whenever there are juicy gossips.

‘Have you heard?’ One of them asked.

‘Is it about Sir Gaillard and Sir Chevalier?’

‘Yes! How arrogant of Sir Chevalier to treat out Princess in such a manner.’ A smirk spread across my face when I heard that the people in the castle are on my side and they did not think lowly of me.

‘Yes, but I heard that there is a reason for him to that.’

‘What is it?’

‘I heard that he had fallen in love with another woman before but she was killed. After that he no longer looks at any woman, especially those who are royals!’

‘Why?’

‘Well, I actually over heard it from their argument.’

‘Sir Chevalier and Sir Gaillard?!’ The other one asked in surprise.

‘Yes, Sir Gaillard said that he should have better manners but Sir Chevalier said that he is only here because Sir Gaillard made him do it. Sir Gaillard did not get really angry but he said that Sir Chevalier should take his thoughts out of this woman called, Josephine!’

Somehow, knowing that Sir Chevalier had a woman in his life made me feel angry. Without giving it a second thought, I slammed open my chamber’s doors and glared at the two lazy servants. ‘Don’t you two have work to do?’ I asked with a tone of annoyance. They quickly curtsy and ran away.

I did not understand why I did what I did but I knew that I would not be satisfied until I have asked him about this Josephine. Tonight, in the ball, I shall have the answer to this question.