For the Future

The match had ended soundly as everyone began to pack up in silence, some tears were dried, and others continued to cry. "I'm just going to wash my face real fast." Yana managed to mumble through her sniffling. It had been a good five minutes before she was able to stop her crying. Yana already knew that she was probably going to cry again later that day but at the very least she wanted to clean up little for the bus ride home.

------

"...Because of that insignificant pride of yours."

"Are you saying that if I had picked Shiratorizawa over Aoba Johsai, we would have won? There is no such thing as a team that always has guaranteed victories."

Yana was going to ignore the conversation before she heard Oikawa speak. She hadn't heard the second voice before but from what she could gather from past information, Oikawa was probably talking to Ushijima.

Ushijima's tone of voice didn't change. "Right now, isn't the place I am at the strongest?"

Oikawa clicked his tongue and scoffed. "You're still the same. You're so confident to the point where it's ridiculous." Oikawa's voice suddenly changed out of his childish banter. "Listen, Ushijima. I have never once thought that I made a wrong choice by coming to Aoba Johsai. My volleyball career is far from over."

Yana couldn't see it, but she could already tell Oikawa had a horribly proud grin on his face as he declared his goal.

"This 'insignificant pride' of mine? You better remember it."

Ushijima didn't respond so instead Oikawa continued to talk.

"Oh, and if you keep only focusing on me, you'll be surpassed one day when you least expect it. Little Tobio-chan, he isn't smart at all, and he is absolutely no match for me. However, he's not alone right now and he's really strong." Oikawa shrugged and began to walk away. "Together, even a pack of crows can kill an enormous white eagle."

Yana waited for Oikawa to pass the corner before she waved to him. "Hey. You were veeeeeeerrryyyy cool back there." Yana teased.

Oikawa felt heat rise to his face as he pouted. "How much did you hear?"

Yana ran up to walk beside him. "Only the really edgy part about the eagles." She held his hand and paused. The smile was still on her face albeit a little shaky. She gave him a tight hug. "You guys really played your best out there."

--------

"Have you seen Yana and Oikawa?" Hajime picked his bag up and the other two bags at his feet.

Matsukawa looked around, "She went to wash her face."

"Alone!?"

"Yeah?" Matsukawa furrowed his eyebrows not really understanding what the problem was. It took him a good few seconds before the realization dawned on him. Yana had no sense of direction and she had a habit of wandering off to odd places. "Do you think she got lost?"

"She definitely got lost." Hanamaki sighed. "We can call them though, right?"

"Yeah." Hajime pulled out his phone and called Oikawa. "Trashykawa, where are you?"

- ----LATER THAT EVENING-----

The team had gone to eat out at a ramen place as either a consolation prize or just because they were hungry. Oikawa alone had eaten far too many bowls that it was a wonder that he didn't feel sick afterwards.

"Um, we'll take our leave now." Yana and the rest of the third years waved goodbye and goodnight to the second and first years. She spoke loud enough to cover up the string of curses Oikawa was spewing now that he didn't have noodles in his mouth.