Halloween

I came out of my mind palace to find John sitting in the middle of the living room, an orange mess spilled all around him on the floor. He had pumpkin seeds stuck on his face and he was grinning widely.

"John, would you please explain to me why you're making a pumpkin soup in the middle of the living room? I know I made a bit of a mess in the kitchen, but I made sure to let your side of the table clean. There's no need to settle on the floor, you know? You could have just asked me to make some more room."

My flatmate looked up at me and laughed openheartedly.

"I'm not making soup Sherlock! I'm carving the pumpkin."

I raised an eyebrow at my boyfriend. "And what for?"

"Sherlock! It's Halloween!"

I sighed. "Oh yes, again... so I suppose you'll make Jack'O'lanterns, put on your unicorn costume and hand out candies to the children that will knock on our door?"

"Yes, yes, yes and yes, you can hold the bowl" he said, smiling up at me. I grinned at my friend and sat down next to him.

"Show me" I asked him. I loved so much watching him all happy, explaining something with passionate glee in his eyes. He began to babble merrily, extracting the content of the squash with the tablespoon, when a big viscous blurb landed on is cheekbone. John looked at me sheepishly and burst out in laughter when I wiped it off.

I followed my boyfriend all day long, helping him to hang fake plastic spider webs on the wall, decorating green cupcakes and placing the Jack'O'lantern in front of our door. At five, he disappeared in his room, exiting fifteen minutes later dressed in his unicorn costume. Just then, the doorbell rang loudly through the flat. John jumped toward the door, grabbing the large candy bowl on his way, running down the stairs. He answered to the kids, babbling with them, complimenting them about their costumes and offering them some sweets.

When I arrived down in the hall, something hit me in the face. I blinked and looked down to the pirate hat that was lying on the floor at my feet. I put it on and John grinned widely at me, grabbing me by the waist and pulling me closer. He quickly kissed my lips and then pulled off when the doorbell rang again. "That'll be a hell of a Halloween" he told me, turning back to open the door. I smiled at my boyfriend and sat down on the steps, looking at him checking a little girl dressed as the president of Mars.

I love him so much.