Chapter Twenty-Two: Sorry

BRION IVOR
We have a fucking new coach. He's younger. Late twenties or whatever. Fact is, he's in trouble because I just heard him refer to Adriana as 'babe' and that's just screwed.

I thought it was a mistake the first time he said that. And then he said it again. Really, it's not like he sees her everyday but I notice he's fucking touchy the few times he sees her.

Right now, I'm waiting for closed practice. I need to talk to this guy.

'Quarterback,' he calls as he realizes I'm the only one left in the gym with him.

'Fuck that,' I say.

'What?' he asks, surprised.

'You know Adriana, don't you?' I ask.

'Adriana. Yes. Yes, I do,' he replies.

'Good. It's either you stay away from her or you get what comes to you,' I say.

'Seriously, quarterback, you do realize I'm the coach here, right?' he asks.

'Good thing,' I reply and start walking out.

'You could get benched if I want, quarterback,' he says.

'The name's Brion,' I reply and leave.

Where are you?
I text Adriana.

Biology class, stupid.
She replies.

What time the does the fucking class end?
I ask.

Really, anytime.
She replies.

To keep texting her is gonna be tough so I just quit.
Good thing she's in class.

I've got stuff to do at the office. I'll be going on a spy mission pretty soon.

Actually, faking being in a mafia just to track down the murder didn't help.

I heard someone say his cover name once.

Jeffrey Douglas.

He flies like time.

The last time, he was in Philadelphia and right now, he's in Spain.

I need to track him. Seriously, I'd be the last person to let that dick get away with his shit.

I want to take Adriana with me because I can't imagine leaving her in New York while I fly to Spain.

For starters, Troy is going to try and mess with her. Plus, I really meant it when I said that girl fucking carries trouble around wherever she goes.

I think spring break would be the best time to tackle this shit but Jeffrey would have gone somewhere else by that time and no one fucking knows what he's doing anywhere.

So, agreed. I'm fucking doing this. Really, I got school work covered because I won't be gone for too long.

ADRIANA KENDRICKS
I love lollipops. I'm actually with one right now in Brion's car.

'I'm going on a mission,' he says.

'You wish you could,' I laugh.

He frowns.

'I'll be keeping an eye on you,' he says.

'Rewind?' I reply.

'From where?' he asks.

'Beginning,' I say.

I really can't believe him.

'I'm going to Spain,' he says, like it's really hard for him.