Chapter 8

(Dipper pov)

I stand in his personal suite, standing right at the edge that looks out over everything and provides Bill easy access out if he chooses to leave.

Before when I looked out there seemed to be slight hope since it was only the town in ruins but now when I look out to the world absolutely everything is on fire.

I feel his hand on my shoulder but I pull away walking over to his fireplace just gazing into the roaring flames. "What's on your mind, Pinetree?"

"Did I make the right decision by helping you?"

"3 months. You have been here with me, safe and with no nightmares for three months. When was the last time you went three months in a straight row without the tinies ounce of nightmares?"

".....12 years ago. Right before my parents sent us here."

"I get that you aren't used to doing things for yourself, putting yourself first-"

"Becase I am not a selfish person like you! I have put other people's needs in front of my own every single time!"

"And in return they stab you in the back. Over and over and over. Time again and again! Choosing to do something for yourself, just for once isn't being selfish. It's just knowing you deserve better then them. Better then that bitch of a sister, friends and family who don't call, a hero who wants to send you away once you make the tiniest mistakes. He didn't even care that you could have died when you mixed those chemicals!"

".....Stan had my back..."

"He is an old man who is negligant at the best of times. I admit he has better ideas to help you then Ford but none of them were ever or would ever be a long term solution."

I run my hand over the cold stone of the fireplace mantle.

"I am a question to the world
Not an answer to be heard
Or a moment that's held in your arms
And what do you think you'll say?
I won't listen anyway
You don't know me
And I'll never be what you want me to be" I walk around the room my hand shifting from the mantle to the wall to the bookshelf.

"And what do you think you'd understand?
I'm a boy-no I'm a man
You can't take me and throw me away
And how can you learn what's never shown?
Yeah, you stand here on your own
They don't know me 'cause I'm not here

And I want a moment to be real
Wanna touch things I don't feel
Wanna hold on and feel like I belong
And how can the world want me to change?
They're the ones that stay the same
They don't know me, 'cause I'm not here

You see the things they never see
All you wanted, I could be
Now you know me, and I'm not afraid
And I want to tell you who I am
Can you help me be a man?
They can't break me, long as I know who I am

And I want a moment to be real
Wanna touch things I don't feel
Wanna hold on and feel like I belong
And how can the world want me to change?
They're the ones that stay the same
They don't know me, 'cause I'm still here" I walk over to the edge again and stand so my heels are right at the edge as I look at Bill.

"They can't tell me who to be
'Cause I'm not what they see
Yeah, the world is still sleepin'
While I keep on dreamin' for me
And their words are just whispers
And lies I'll never believe" I lean back and feel the wind whip through my hair as I plummet towards the ground. I look up seeing Bill dive down towards me, his hand outstretched towards me. Once he's close enough I grab his hand and he pulls me to his chest holding me tightly as he flies back up towards the sky. I clench his suit in my hands as I hold onto him.

"And I want a moment to be real
Wanna touch things I don't feel
Wanna hold on and feel like I belong
And how can you say you want me to change?
They're the ones that stay the same
I'm the one now, 'cause I'm still here

I'm still here
I'm still here
I'm still here"

We land back in his suite. He looks down at me cupping my cheek in his hand, his other hand holding onto my back as his lips connect with mine.