Chapter 9: Something's Going On

Heidi's POV

I was helping the elves build toys when I heard a loud voice interrupt my thoughts. 

"I already told you!" Bernard shouted. I looked up and saw Bernard with my dad and Curtis. Bernard looked around and locked eyes with me before turning back to my dad. I couldn't help but listen in on their conversation. "It's been check, don't worry about it." 

"Well, I do worry about it." Dad said. "There's a lot of mistakes on this list. I'll give you a big, fat for instance. In Denmark, there's a guy named Sven Hallstrom, right here." He pointed to a spot on the giant globe. "He's a dane. Apparently, he was wiping his nose on his sister's shirt. Yuck! That's not very nice, and yet he's on the nice list." 

"We try to cut most of the children a little bit of slack this time of year." Curtis explained. 

"I don't understand that!" Dad exclaimed. "It looks like kids are misbehaving everywhere. They're running with scissors, they're always sticky. I'm not gonna stop this car! No, we're not there yet! Brush your teeth! Pick up those clothes! It goes on and on." 

"But they're just kids." Bernard protested. "Everybody misbehaves sometime." 

"But according to the Santa handbook, naughty kids get lumps of coal in their stockings, right?" Dad asked, as he took the book from an elf and dropped the Naughty & Nice List. "And if they don't have stockings, we will make them stockings. In my little personal opinion, I think they should all get coal in their stockings, don't you?" 

"No!" Curtis shouted. "That's not how it works!" 

"Get me the Naughty/Nice list." Dad demanded. "Get me every list. GET ME...everything." He passed the book to an elf and walked away, causing Curtis and Bernard to look at each other before following after my dad. 

"Something's going on, Joey." I said to the elf next to me. "And I'm gonna get to the bottom of it."