Chapter 16: Alone Together

Heidi's POV 

I got thrown into a room. 

"Hey!" I yelled as they shut the door behind me, locking me in. "Let me out!" I banged on the door, but it was no use. "Dammit." 

"Heidi?" I heard. I turned around and saw Bernard standing there. 

"Bernard?" I asked. 

"What happened?" He asked, walking over to me. "I told you to run." 

"I did!" I said. "I hid in the barn but...they still found me." 

"Oh man." Bernard said, sighing. 

"Now what do we do?" I asked. 

"Nothing." Bernard said, walking over to the colorful window. 

"Well, there's gotta be something." I said. 

"Nope." He said. "The only way out is through that door." He pointed at the only exit. "But they locked it after they threw us in here. There's nothing we can do." 

"You just giving up?" I asked in disbelief. "That's it?" 

"What do you want me to do, Heidi?" He asked, annoyed. "We can't get out!" 

"No." I said. "I don't accept that answer. There has to be some way out." 

"There isn't." He said. "We just gotta wait." I sighed and then I remembered. 

"You lied to me." I said. 

"What?" He asked. 

"You lied." I said. "Why did you lie?" He suddenly remembered and walked over to me. 

"Heidi--" 

"No, don't you Heidi me." I said. "I trusted you! I said I could always count on you to tell me the truth and you lie to me!" 

"I tried to tell you." He said, causing me to roll my eyes. "I did! But whenever I wanted to, something wouldn't let me. Whether it was not wanting to let Scott down or just something going wrong, I couldn't. But I wanted to. I wanted to tell you." 

"So tell me now." I said. "Is that man downstairs my father?" 

"No." He said. "Your dad...he left to help Charlie. Charlie ended up on the Naughty List. And...Scott needed to find a wife...or else he's not Santa anymore. Curtis created Toy Santa, so your dad could be there for Charlie and here for you." 

"That's why that thing is here and he isn't?" I asked. 

"Yeah." He said. I sighed. 

"I shouldn't have come." I said. "I should have just stayed home." 

"But you didn't." He said. "Heidi, you coming back...it's one of the best things to happen to this place. The reindeer missed you, the elves missed you, your dad missed you...I missed you." My heart clenched. 

"I missed you guys too." I admitted. 

"Heidi, I'm sorry that I didn't tell you." He said. "I'll never lie to you again. I promise." 

"Thank you for telling me." I said, suddenly feeling nervous. 

"It's not the only thing I didn't tell you." He said. 

"What?" I asked. 

"Heidi, it's the head elf's job to do...everything." He explained. "Take care of the elves, take care of the reindeer, take care of Santa. I mean, we never get any time for ourselves, barely ever. But when we do...we take the time...to enjoy the small things in life. And it could be anything. From sowing to cooking to making toys. And sometimes...our feelings are left out of most of those things. Because a lot of us...don't have the time. But we wanna make the time...I wanna make the time." My heart started pounding in my chest. "What I'm trying to say is...I wanna make time for you. I'll always be there when you need me. No matter what." 

"Uh huh." I said, trying to figure out where he was going with this. 

"And I'll always care about you." He said, and I think I figured it out. 

"Yeah." I said, nodding. 

"What I'm trying to say is--" He was cut off by my hand hitting the side of his face. He held it in pain and looked at me in shock. "What was that for?!" 

"For lying to me." I said. 

"I apologized!" He said. 

"I know." I said. "I just needed you to stop talking." I grabbed the collar of his shirt and smashed his lips against mine. He was shocked at first but eventually kissed back. As our lips moved in sync, I felt his hands on my lower back, pushing us closer together. In that moment, all worries faded away and I felt was the love radiating from him onto me. 

Suddenly, we heard the door open, causing us to pull away and jump away from each other. I looked and saw Curtis standing there, shocked but his expression didn't last long cause it turned into a smirk. 

"Well, well, well." Curtis said, crossing his arms over his chest. "Lookie what we have here." Me and Bernard were too flustered to say anything. Then, I see a head stick out from behind the door. 

"Is she in there?" I heard his voice say. 

"Charlie?!" I asked as he walked into the room. I ran over and hugged him, causing him to hug back. 

"Hey, sis." He said. I hugged him so tight, afraid he'd disappear if I let go and he hugged me tighter too. 

"I miss you so much." I said. 

"I miss you too." He said as we let go. 

"Heidi?" I heard. I looked behind Charlie and saw the man I've been wanting to see since I've came back to the North Pole. 

"Dad." I said, happy tears welling up in my eyes. He held his arms out and I ran into them. He hugged me tighter than possible and I returned the hug. 

"I'm so sorry, kiddo." He said. 

"It's okay." I said into his shirt. "I'm just glad you're here." 

"Me too." He said as we pulled away, but he held me at arm's length. He looked me over, as if he hasn't seen me in years. "You're so grown up." 

"And you've...changed." I said, realizing that he looked like he did before he became Santa. 

"I know." He said. "It's part of the De-Santification process." 

"The De-Santifa-what?" I asked, confused. 

"I'll explain later." He said and then I noticed a woman standing behind him. He looked behind him and saw her. "Oh! Heidi, this is Carol. And Carol, this is Heidi, my daughter." 

"Hi." She said, waving. "I've heard so much about you." 

"Good things I hope." I said. 

"Very much so." She said. 

"Dad, does she know you're...?" I trailed off, wanting to make sure I didn't reveal anything if she didn't. 

"She does." He said. 

"Oh ok." I said, nodding. 

"As much as I'm loving the family reunion, we gotta go." Curtis said. 

"Right." Dad said. "Come on, let's go." And we all ran out of the room.