Chapter 5: Lying to All the Elves

Heidi's POV 

"I myself think he looks absolutely terrific!"  I heard a nervous voice shout as Joey, the elf, led me to where all the other elves were. "Better a-and fresher somehow than he has in years. There's now a more supple veneer to his skin a-and an added luster to the thickness of his hair. You could almost say there's a...a...a toylike quality to him." 

"Joey, what's going on?" I asked, seeing all the elves gathered around Bernard, who was standing on the staircase. 

"I don't know." Joey said. "Maybe another staff meeting." 

"Most importantly, he's very happy with his new look, and I would caution you all not to point or stare or use the word: Plastic." Bernard said and chuckled, nervously. "Okay? Okay. Thank you. That's it. That's all. Back to work, please." All the elves dispersed as I thanked Joey for helping me. 

"Bernard!" I called out as I walked over to the staircase. 

"H-H-H-Heidi!" He said, in surprise. "Hi!" 

"Hey." I said, walking up the staircase and up to him. I was a bit shorter than him but not by much. 

"H-How did you get here?" He asked. 

"Joey got on Vixen to come and get me." I answered. 

"Joey." He muttered under his breath, but I heard him. "Right." 

"Dad sent him to come get me." I said. "You know that, right?" 

"W-What?" He asked, nervously. "O-Of course I knew that! I'm Head Elf. I know everything...I think." 

"Well, have you seen my dad?" I asked. "I was gonna go see him first but Joey couldn't find him." 

"He's busy." He said, rushed. "Working on...uh...um..." I stood there, waiting for his response. "New toy plans...in his office." 

"Oh, well then I better go see him." I said, going to walk away. 

"You can't!" Bernard said, quickly stopping in front of me. "Because uh..." 

"He didn't wanna be bothered." I heard a voice say from behind me. Curtis, the second head elf, walked up to us from behind me. "It's really important he gets those plans finished. And you know him. When he's busy..." 

"He can't be bothered." Bernard finished. 

"Right." Curtis said, nodding at Bernard. 

"Oh." I said, disappointed. "Well, I guess I can just see him later than." 

"Totally." Curtis said. "Why don't you join me for coffee at the new shop? Just opened down the street." 

"Sure." I said, nodding. As Curtis led me away down the stairs with my back turned, I didn't see Bernard thanking the small elf from saving him.