Chapter 2: The Letter

Heidi's POV 

I was sitting at my dorm, at my desk finishing my work for this week. Christmas break was coming up and I was trying to decide what to do for this year. For the last 2 years, I have been having Christmas with my mom, Neal, Charlie and Lucy. Maybe it's time to, change things up. I pulled out a piece of paper and wrote a letter. When I was done, I put the letter into an envelope. I walked over to my bed and pulled out a box from under the bed. The box was a mail box, sort of. Bernard gave it to me 3 Christmases ago. It was so I could mail letters to my dad without having the mail system take forever to deliver it. Pretty cool, huh? I opened the box and put the letter in it. I closed the box and put it back under my bed. I got on my bed and fell asleep.

Third Person's POV 

"This is--There's got to be a mistake." Scott said, just finding out that his son Charlie was on the naughty list. 

"We don't make mistakes." Abby, Judy's replacement, said. After Judy retired, Abby took over for her. "I'm sorry, Santa. Please excuse me." Abby walked out. 

"Is Heidi still on the nice list?" Scott asked. 

"Yeah." Bernard said. "Has been for the last 8 years." 

"Well, how could this happen?" Scott asked as the second in command elf, Curtis, walked in with a huge machine. "Is this what you and Curtis were trying to tell me?" 

"Great!" Curtis said. "You told him. Good. Let's get you dress for that meeting." 

"I-I can't have the meeting in here" Scott said. "I-I really can't. I'm gonna have to go see Charlie." 

"#2, tell him right now." Bernard commanded. 

"Tell me what?" Scott said. "Guys, come on. Come clean now." 

"Santa, there's a clause." Curtis said. 

"Yeah, that would be me." Scott said. 

"No, I mean there's another Santa Clause." Curtis said. 

"Curtis, in case you haven't noticed, this time of the year, the malls are filled with other "Santa Clauses"." Scott said. 

"Yes, but there's another Santa Clause." Curtis said. "There was a first clause, but there's also a second clause." 

"GET ON WITH IT!" The puppets both shouted. 

"When the last Santa Clause fell off your roof and you put on his coat, you found this." Curtis said, holding the card. 

"Right." Scott said. "He who wears the coat takes on responsibilities of Santa Clause" something like that, and of course the rest would be history right?" 

"But it seems our #2 elf, the keeper of the handbook, overlooked THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT DETAIL IN THE HISTORY OF CHRISTMAS!" Bernard shouted. 

"Wow." Curtis said, unimpressed. "One mistake in 900 years." 

"Look." Bernard said, pulling a magnifying glass up. 

"I can't see that." Scott said, looking through it. 

"Better now?" Bernard said, switching it out with a bigger one. 

"Uhhhh." Scott said. 

"Or now?" Bernard asked, switching to a bigger one. 

"Well...." Scott said.

"Better now?" Bernard asked switching again. 

"It's getting there." Scott said. 

"Or now?" Bernard asked, switching it again. 

"I can't see anything." Scott said. Bernard switched it out with the biggest one. "I see. Good, good, good. I see it. Okay. Well, the car holder acknowledges.....woman of his choosing......a true love.....not valid in the state of Utah..... holy......Matrimony! I GOTTA GET MARRIED!" 

"Yes, it's...the Mrs. Clause." Bernard said. The puppets started to sing the wedding song. 

"What if I don't wanna get married?" Scott asked, tightening his belt, but his belly became less jolly. 

"Oh dear." Curtis said. "THE DE-SANTAFICATION HAS BEGUN!" 

"The De-Santafication?" Scott asked. "Are you telling me that in that clause it says if I don't get married.....I don't get to be Santa anymore?" They didn't answer. He sighed. "W-What about the kids? W-What about the elves? What about you guys?" 

"It's not completely hopeless, sir." Bernard said. "You still have time to find a wife." 

"Right." Scott said. "Well, how much time do I have, Curtis?"

"28 days." Curtis said. 

"28 days." Scott said. "So, I gotta find a wife by Chrismas." 

"Actually Christmas Eve." Curtis said. 

"I guess it's over." Scott 

"No!" Curtis said. "You can't think that way! Please, don't give up hope! Cause if you do, then we have to." Scott's beard became smaller. The puppets screamed. "Woah." 

"Christmas is getting very complicated." Scott said. 

"You have mail, Santa." A elf said, walking in. He walked over and gave it to Scott. 

"Thank you, Joey." Scott said. Joey walked out. Scott checked the front of the envelope. "University of Vermont? That's Heidi's college." He opened it, and pulled out the letter. He read it, and a shocked look was on his face. 

"Sir?" Bernard asked. "What is it?" Scott passed the letter to Curtis. "What does it say?" 

"Dear dad, how have you been?" Curtis read. "It's been a while. College is going good. I know I haven't see you much and I'm sorry about that. I just wanted to focus on college so I could come see you more when I got everything all worked out. But I still don't know what I wanna do for the rest of my life. So, I have decided that for Christmas I would spend it with you. I already asked mom and she said she was fine with it. I'll see you soon. Love, Heidi." 

"She coming to the North Pole?" Bernard asked. "When?" 

"Tomorrow." Scott said. 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Author's Note: Sorry I haven't updated this story in a while guys. I just wanted to be more into the Christmas spirit.