Chapter 8: The Viewing Room

Heidi's POV

I sighed as I watched the kids on the giant viewing screen. They all seemed pretty happy the Christmas wasn't that far away. Well, at least someone was happy. 

My thoughts were interrupted by a key turning in the locked door. I turned my head as it opened, and I saw Bernard walk in. He gave me as sad smiled as he walked in and closed the door behind him. 

"Hey." He said, walking over to me. "Abby's looking for you, ya know?" 

"Yeah." I said, looking at the viewing screen again. "I just needed some alone time." 

"I get it." He said, nodding. "Sometimes, I need to go into the reindeer stalls just to get some alone time. And that's saying a lot because, trust me, Comet and the other reindeer aren't very quiet." He chuckled but stopped when he saw I wasn't laughing. 

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked, looking at the tall elf. 

"What?!" He asked. "No, no, no. Heidi, you did nothing wrong." 

"Then why does it feel like I did?" I asked, fully turning my body to face him. 

"Heidi." He said, turning his body to face mine. "Your dad...he's just...got a lot going on lately. Especially during this time of the year, you know that better than anyone." 

"I know." I said, shaking my head. "It just feels different this time. Like...he's different." I sighed. "Maybe's it just because I haven't seen him in a long time, I don't know." 

"I'm sure it'll get better." He said, patting me on the shoulder. 

"I hope you're right." I said. Suddenly, I saw the viewing screen change from a 5-year-old girl to a college kid. He looked familiar. "I know him." 

"You do?" Bernard asked. 

"It's Josh from my college." I said. "I met him a few days ago." 

"Y-You did?" Bernard asked. 

"Yeah." I said. "My friends say he's the most popular guy in school." 

"Is he nice?" Bernard asked. 

"He's shy but very nice." I said, staring at the view of the dreamy college guy. "Sweet, too." 

Third Person's POV

As Heidi watched the viewing screen, what she didn't notice was look Bernard was giving the screen from his spot beside her. From a regular elf's point of view, you'd think he's just annoyed, as he usually is. But on the inside, he was jealous. Whether he's jealous of the look Heidi was giving the guy on the screen or jealous of Josh, you wouldn't know. But he was definitely jealous. He just didn't know it yet.