Chapter 19: The Proposal

Heidi's POV 

"Let me out of here!" Toy Santa demanded as the machine slowly destroyed him. "You idiots! Wait a minute, something's shocking me!"  

"Dad, you were great." Charlie said as we walked away. 

"Yeah." I agreed. 

"Sounds like you two were pretty good, too." Dad said. 

"We got 10 minutes." Charlie said. "We got to go." 

"Where's Carol?" Dad asked. 

"Scott?" Carol said, walking over to us. 

"Carol, are you alright?" Dad asked, hugging her. 

"Yes." She said, walking with us. 

"Where are you going?" Bernard asked. 

"You should know this, Number 1." Dad said. "It's Christmas time. I got to deliver gifts." 

"But, Santa, aren't you forgetting something?" Bernard asked. 

"No." Dad said. 

"You've got to get married." Bernard reminded, causing us all to stop. 

"Excuse me?" Carol asked. Dad glanced down at himself before looking at her. 

"Carol, I...uh...I cannot continue being Santa...unless I find a Mrs. Claus." He explained. 

"Oh." She said. "So that's what the whole noodles and pie thing...you just needed to find a wife." 

"No." He said. 

"No?" She asked. 

"Yes." He said. 

"Yes?" She asked. 

"Yes, I was looking for a wife." He explained. "No, I didn't figure on falling...in love." A smile graced my face as I watched them. 

"You love me?" She asked, tears coming to her eyes. He nodded. "This is all happening so fast." 

"Well, there's...there's no pressure." He said. 

"Good." She said. 

"I mean, if I don't get married, I just won't deliver the gifts." He explained. "And... children everywhere will stop believing...the elves will lose their jobs, the North Pole will disappear, and... Christmas will be gone." Awkward. 

"Get down on one knee." Abby said from behind him, causing him to look at her. "Do it. Now." He did as she said. "Say Carol." 

"Carol." Dad said, taking the woman's hands. 

"Uh...Yeah?" She asked. 

"You say this is happening all so fast..." Abby continued. 

"You say this is happening all so fast..." Dad repeated. 

"...But you've known me your whole life." Abby continued. 

"...But you've known me your whole life." Dad repeated. 

"When you were little and alone..." Abby continued. 

"When you were little and alone..." Dad repeated. 

"Santa--" 

"Santa." Dad said, cutting Abby off as he turned to the elf. "I can take it from here." Dad stood up and looked at Carol. "Santa was always there for you. And I will be there for you as long as you continue to believe in me. I know I'm asking you to leave everything at home, but I can guarantee you this this is worth it. This place...this place is all about magic and love and wonder...and occasionally, a thin-crust pizza and a movie on a long winter night." 

"Is there a school here?" She asked. Dad's eyes shifted to Bernard and Bernard silently nodded and mouthed 'Yes'. 

"W-We have one." Dad stuttered. "A school, the elves, we need a new principal. Cause as of late, some of the elves have been acting a bit impish." He looked at Abby, and the elf smiled as she crossed her arms over her chest, causing Carol to look at her and then back at my dad. "Carol...I love you." 

"You do?" She asked. 

"Would you be my wife?" He asked. 

"I will." I whispered to her. 

"Thank you." Carol said, smiling while looking at me. "I've got it from here." She looked at dad. "I will." The two hugged, causing me and Abby to fist bump, chuckling.