Real father

"What do you mean they're getting close? This wasn't supposed to be happening!" A man shouted as he threw everything off his table.

The man standing in front of him shivered in fear but still managed to speak, "A-According to w-what I've learnt, J-Jace and A-Avery were f-friends in th-the p-past."

"Seems like the past is repeating itself,  yes?" The man asked with a smirk, "I didn't stage my own death so that they could get their happily ever after."

"W-what do you p-plan to do, boss?" The man asked, stuttering.

"I want Avery in front of me— alive." He replied, still smirking. The man standing in front of him nodded hesitantly, "G-Give me at least t-two weeks."

"Two weeks?" The boss asked to which the other man nodded, "Jace Black is the Italian-American Mafia leader. It would be suicide if I kidnap Avery without any plan."

The boss thought for a while before nodding, "Two weeks is all what you've got."

"Thank you, boss." The man said before leaving.

"I'm ready to show you that your father isn't dead sweetheart. At least— your real father isn't." The man said smirking as he stared at the other man's disappearing figure.

**

Two Weeks Later

"Ever since Jace told me that you were alive, I've been dying to meet you— literally!" Ashlynn said to Avery who only smiled in response.

"You're Harrison's daughter, yes?" Ace asked to which Avery nodded, "You knew my father?"

"I sure did. I was the one who introduced Jace to him— for business." Ace replied, choosing his words carefully.

"I'm sorry for what happened to your family, sweetheart. Nobody deserved what you went through but look on the bright side— you wouldn't have been who you are today if not for what happened in your past. I'm not saying that what happened to you was good, just look where it got you."  Ashlynn said with a smile.

Avery smiled back, "You're right."

"Well Jace, I approve." Ace said to Jace who raised his brows at him, "Approve of what, dad?"

"Her." He replied, pointing to Avery who furrowed her brows in Confusion. Ace rephrased, "I mean, I approve of her as your girlfriend and future wife and my future daughter-in-law. It's not that hard to understand. I didn't raise a dumb head, did I?"

Jace rolled his eyes, "We are just friends."

"Who might have kissed a few times." Ashlynn added sarcastically, "Don't think that I don't know about what goes on in your life, boy. You're my son and I sure as hell keep a close eye on you."

"Fuck." Jace mumbled before adding,
"I need privacy, mom."

"And I do give you enough privacy. Don't worry, I won't be sitting on the couch, in front of you, on your wedding night. I'm not that crazy." Ashlynn said, rolling her eyes.

"You can't seriously be keeping a close eye on me." He mimicked. "I'm a fucking adult for fuck's sake!"

"I know — you don't need to remind me. Adult or not, you're my son. I carried you in my womb for nine fucking months. This isn't how you're going to thank me." Ashlynn said seriously.

Ace was trying hard not to laugh while Avery's eyes widened at what Ashlynn just said.

"Anyway, can we leave now? We have somewhere to be." Jace said to his parents as everyone stood up from their seats.

Jace took Avery to meet her parents since Ashlynn wanted to meet her.

"Take care." Ashlynn said to Avery who nodded. She surprised Avery by engulfing her in a hug but still, she hugged her back.

After bidding farewell to them, they left the house. Jace dropped Avery to her house before leaving.

As soon as Avery stepped inside the house, she felt something against her neck and she felt unconscious.