Chapter Eight: First Dates

Megs sat in the gender-neutral bathroom of Hatchetfield High a few days later, a fugitive they'd harboured in across from them: Ash. Technically they shouldn't be there. But Megs had a date in about 30 minutes, class was cancelled because Mr. Buckley got sick and just didn't want to submit the paperwork for them to get a substitute. He was gonna get in trouble, but that wasn't Megs' problem. They'd pretty much immediately texted Ash. Because if they had time and an actually cosmetology student at their disposal... they were taking full advantage of it. They'd been getting along really well with Ethan. Their friendship was getting closer and closer every day. He even had a nickname for them: Knuckles. Because their knuckles on the hand they'd punched Johnny with were still bruised- now officially down to black. But they really wanted to look good for their date. It was like a whole other first impression, and they didn't want to mess it up. 

"You know, you really don't need me to do this." Ash teased, working on their base. "You looked fine."

"Yeah, but you're great at makeup." Megs chuckled. "Plus, it gives us an excuse to talk."

"How have your witch lessons been going?" Ash asked curiously. 

"Pretty good." Megs hummed. "It's, uh... complicated."

"How?" Ash smirked. 

"Uh... I mean, it's more like psychic stuff than actual witchcraft." Megs bit their lip. "And... uh... one of my teachers is Wiley."

"I thought you were supposed to be learning from Holloway." Ash froze. 

"I am, he's just... helping." Megs tried to explain. 

"Didn't you say that they hated each other?" Ash checked. 

"Yeah, but they're both witches, and... apparently he just doesn't want me to die?" Megs shrugged. "He's not half bad, if you're actually getting to know Wilbur and not Uncle Wiley."

"Careful." Ash warned. "I know you simp for villains a lot, but this isn't the time."

"I am being careful." Megs assured her. "You'd... kind of have to be there to see what I mean."

"I'd kind of like to be there." Ash admitted nervously. 

"Ash, I swear I'm taking care of myself." Megs sighed. 

"Not just for that." Ash bit her lip, wincing a little as though expecting a negative reaction.

"You want to learn witchcraft?" Megs blinked. 

"Uh... yeah. I think it'd be cool." Ash blushed. 

"I can ask Holloway." Megs smirked softly. "Why didn't you say anything before now?"

"Well, I didn't want it to seem like I was stepping all over your thing." Ash sighed. 

"Ash, don't even worry about that." Megs chuckled. "If you want to do this together, we can do this together- although you might have a harder time with it."

"Why?" Ash checked. 

"Because, uh... my dream wasn't a dream." Megs tapped their foot nervously. "I was awake in the Black and White."

"Oh my god..." Ash breathed. "Are you... okay?"

"Yeah, it just means that I'm... again, it's complicated, but by being awake I kinda connected with it?" Megs tried to explain.

"Okay..." Ash nodded moving onto their eyes. Megs closed their eyes on instinct. "What does that mean?"

"It's how witchcraft works." Megs tried to explain. "Witchcraft is kind of using that connection to... manipulate the world around you?"