09

CHAPTER NINE
Epiphany

They had sought refuge at the Ashdown's infamous palace built from the dust of dirty money. It was the only reasonable option, and their options were very limited. His home was magnificent, and it was only one of the many estates his family had owned. Thankfully because of this, they were able to hide out in an empty one without surveillance that could raise suspicion. Abourne, who was more well-rested than Inez, drove the getaway car when everyone had safely exited the location. In the seam of the moment, they decided on going to the affluent area of Ashgrim. Many wouldn't dare to enter the block of the wealthy, even imperative officials avoided at all costs having to confront or approach or simply drop off mail. It just wasn't an ideal situation to be in the land of intimidation.

"Do you think that was what the prophecy meant? Asdgin Desciy?" Sung Mi queried. "Why do we even care so much about that damn paper? Lilac fished it out of a garbage post office."

Lilac glared at her and said, "It's a valuable relic, Inez." She rolled her eyes while Inez scoffed. The paper they thought to be a prophecy or of the sort was valued as it had been under the historic category in the Valkyrie's building; it was scoured out by an acquaintance of Lilac's who owed her a favor. She had caught sight of it once in a prestigious open auction house, and it piqued her interest as she thought there might have been a connection to the orbs. The Valkyrie and her associations were aware of the orbs, and although Lilac and the rest never found out what they used it for or why they didn't care they were being stolen, it definitely was not something they look past at. The orbs were powerful, and they hadn't even seen it to its full extent. No one has found a way to manipulate the source to their control, or at least no one they knew, it was probably for the best. Whether it was to be them to first discover it or no one does.

"Was that it, Inez?"

"What?"

"It. You were going ballistic and saying it was here. Were they it?" Sung Mi asked, but before Inez could get a chance to reply, Sung Mi interrupted her and laughed, "We sound incredibly insane these days don't we? I can't believe I'm asking insensible questions like what is it and who are they," She looked at Abourne, "—I feel like a child learning how to speak," She humored.

"I said what?" Inez scratched her head. Sung Mi pressed her lips into a thin line as she examined Inez's face, waiting for her to retort something amusing. But it never came. Sung Mi then crossed her arms and said, "You don't remember? Is this a symptom of this weird ailment you two have? You were asleep then the next minute you're all sweaty and panicking telling us it's here."

Inez frowned and fell into a bliss of thought as she stared at the wall, trying to recall everything she could. But nothing resurfaced, not even the waking up part.

That evening Inez had left to visit her grandmother's convalescent facility, a much nicer way than saying nursing home. Her grandmother didn't deserve that label, she was not delirious like what people had called her. She did not need medical attention whatsoever. Her grandmother simply had too much to say. Ashgrim was never and could never be perfect, but one of its greatest faults was putting an innocent woman behind such distasteful faculty.

Inez entered through the main entrance and one of the staff greeted her by the front. She only courteously nodded and stuffed her hands in her pockets as she looked around. She spotted her grandmother by the corner, staring at the wall lost in her own thoughts. Inez smiles and took a moment to admire her, just watching her from afar had given her the perfect image of strength and appall.