19

The Autobots had transformed in a junkyard, confused at the recent development (and because Miles had to pee)

     The Autobots had transformed in a junkyard, confused at the recent development (and because Miles had to pee). They swore to have been gaining on the woman and the strange power she held on her wrist, and for a minute they were sure their enemies had stopped completely after their change in direction (observed from street cameras and traffic light monitors). Now they had lost several hours of drive time in the span of one and she was now in North Dakota. They were already hours behind but the rapid rate at which Marissa Faireborn was becoming further away made them wonder.

         "Unless Starscream decided to take her on his own," Ironhide began, "the human may have been abducted by another party."

         "An unknown party." Ratchet shook his helm. "If this mystery bot hasn't contacted us, then it may be neutral, or perhaps a Decepticon against Starscream. There's a plethora of them."

         "If Starscream and Barricade didn't kill her, would another 'Con consider it?" Mikaela questioned, standing next to Ironhide's pede with a serious expression. She was worried for the woman but the teen's determination to bring the older female back to safety overshadowed the want to avoid alluding to her death. "Even if it's just to spite them?"

         "Barricade and Starscream might know something that we do not." Optimus Prime admitted. "They had likely been watching her in Mission City, where they had last been monitored and ultimately lost. If they had not killed Marissa Faireborn, I do not think another Decepticon would rule out that she is of better use alive."

         "How do we catch up, then?" Shane Faireborn voiced his nagging question. He refused to admit defeat, even when his daughter was somehow going down the road at ridiculous speeds. "If your medical officer is right, and I'm not one to doubt basic math, this new threat is clipping along at over 500 miles per hour! The farther she gets with that bracelet, the less accurate your- your gut feeling is."

     Ironhide huffed at the term used. It was a crude one and frankly rather insulting. If the man wasn't standing by Ratchet's pede (opposite of Lennox), he would have pointed his canon at him to fix his vocabulary. Alas, even Miles was next to his guardian, fidgeting with the wrapper of a protein bar as he listened.

         "Mr. Faireborn," Sam interceded as he cringed at Ironhide's perturbed expression, "it might just be Starscream getting a head start on Barricade. He's a military plane so the guy can go faster than most Cybertronians."

     Bumblebee suddenly beeped, earning the other mech's attention. Ratchet turned thoughtful as he tapped his chin guard, Ironhide huffed, and Optimus hummed at the hypothesis.

         "What'd he say?" Miles questioned around a mouthful of food.

         "That this knew development might not be Cybertronian." Optimus shifted his weight to the other pede as he thought. "Colonel Lennox, can you determine if there are any new sightings of meteors hitting Earth within the last month?"