Burlken

Chapter 18

I'm on the road, to Tilshore. Midday, the sky is cloudy and the sunshine is shining through the trees. I followed all the signs to get to Tilshore plus my memory from last time going there.

It was a long way there, the next sign came up. "WELCOME TO Burlken village" is what it said. I got closer and closer to the village. It looked like a very nice small cute place. Everyone on the sidewalks had a smile on their face. I drove by a couple of dogs just past the entrance, I saw that they even knew how to clean up after themselves.

I looked at my fuel tank arrow on the dashboard. Shoot, I'm almost out of gas. I saw a lady in a red long puffy dress pushing a baby cart. An old fashioned one though, like from the 1800s. She looked like she has a fancy life. I slowed down and rolled down the window, "Hey!" I shouted for her. She turned her head to look at me, she was so beautiful. She had a nice face of makeup. She had a lot of blush on. She flashes me a smile.

"Yes?" she said bending down to the window to hear me better.

"Ya hi, do you know where the nearest gas station is?" I asked her desperate for some gas.

"Oh why of course,-" damn she even talked fancy
"- go down one block and then make a right turn, it will be on your left side there." she directed me pointed her finger in the same red, fancy laced gloves, down the street.

"Okay, thank you so much. Have a wonderful day." I said.

"Why you're welcome dear, you too." She said putting her palm on her chest smiling

I smiled back and put my foot on the accelerator and followed her directions she gave me. Down one block. Take a right turn. And then to the left. I saw the gas station and pulled in. I hopped out and locked the car, then walked inside the little store where I have to pay.

"Hi." I said grabbing my aunts wallet out of my jacket pocket.

"Hello." He said. "Gas pump 3." He said.

"Perfect." I said, the car was parked right there.

"How much money on the pump?" He asked having his finger ready to punch in his cash register.

"$1.23 please." I said getting a 5 dollar bill ready. I saw a chocolate bar on the rack beside me. "And this chocolate bar." I said grabbing it and putting it down in front of me.

He was typing away on the register, "Okay, your total is $1.56."  I handed him the 5 dollar bill. He put it in the register and handed me my change. "Your change is, $3.44." He said. "Have a nice day." He ended the conversation.

"Thanks." I said grabbing the chocolate bar and walking out of the store.

I walked back to the pump I was parked at and started filling the tank.

I unlocked the car and started the engine. As I almost started driving off. A guy started waving me down and calling out to me running out of the store with something in his hand.

"Ma'am!" He called out.

Ma'am? Why does everyone seem so nice? I turned my head to see a man wearing a beret hat, a striped shirt, and black pants. He had a short stubble beard and brown hair. He walked up to my window bending over to talk to me. "Is this your's?" He asked lifting up my aunts wallet. Fuck, hopefully he didn't look through it.

"Yes, thank you. How did I lose it?" I asked snatching it out of his hand.

"When you were trying to put it in your pocket, you missed. It fell on the ground." He said. He had a slight Norwegian accent.