Chapter 7: My Knightress, Warrior, Heroine

Devil Like Me — Rainbow Kitten Surprise

Hilda was standing looking out of the large vine-covered window in the solarium. When she noticed a familiar couple walking towards the porch, she squinted to see through the rain.

Realising it was her older sister and Lilith trudging through the mud, up to the steps, relief made her heart flutter. Lilith was providing stability to Zelda, despite looking in more need of support herself.

"Zelds? ... Zelda, Lilith...! Praise Hecate it's you! Are you okay? Did they hurt you? What in the heavens happened down there?!"

Hilda was fumbling through the door frame to reach her sister, the small dog tripping her up in his eagerness. She almost knocked them completely over in all her excitement to see the pair; alive and well (more or less).

"Yes, yes. Do you mind letting us through the door first before you fall on top of us, Hildegarde! A drink would be nice too..." Zelda rumbled, exasperated at her sister's clumsiness. Though she was carrying a weak smile all the while, because she was glad to be near her younger sister. She scooped the squirming dog up into her arms and placed a rough kiss on the crown of his head.

"Auntie, what is all this commotion about!?" Ambrose' voice resounded as he was rushing down the stairs towards his squealing aunt, picking up on who she was greeting at the door.

He sprinted to where the women were half standing, half leaning against the maroon door of the house. Noticing Lilith's physical state, he hesitated at first, but Lilith noticed and pulled him into a warm yet exhausted embrace. Zelda joined them, resting her head on Ambrose' shoulder and closing her eyes.

"Cousin! Get down here now!" Ambrose roared, carrying his voice halfway across Greendale. "They... they're back!"

He never let go of the women in front of him, still processing that they had made it home in one piece.

Thuds and loud footsteps came stomping down the grand staircase, almost causing it to collapse. Sabrina's eyes were searching for the aunts she'd longed to see return safely.

"Auntie Zee... Lilith?!" Sabrina gasped, emotions getting the better of her as she came towards them.

Both Lilith and Zelda kissed the girl as she wrapped around them. The women were almost overwhelmed by the amount of physical affection from their family.

"You two look like you could do with a sit-down... Now, come on in," Hilda advised, shoving them inside into the comfortably warm living room.

A they were going over the events – leaving certain details out –Lilith's arm remained around her wife the whole time. No word was lost about the gamble Lilith made, and it should remain that way.

All in all, the Spellmans were simply happy to be back together as a whole, to know everyone was finally safe.

Needing to recover from the physical and mental strains of the battle, Zelda and Lilith soon excused themselves. They had been holding each other from the moment they had been allowed to; unable to let go until now that they were dragging themselves up the stairs. No words needed nor wanted.

Flicking the headlights off, Zelda wrapped her dressing gown tighter around her waist and walked over to the bed where Lilith was sitting. She watched her as she begun to remove her armour, slowly, stopping her movements frequently to gather strength as if she didn't have the energy to do it at all.

Zelda felt a tug in her chest when her gaze brushed over her and she saw the bruises on Lilith's exposed shoulders from where the top piece had sat and the blood was smeared all over her skin.