Episode 8: Secret Tunnel

What was she thinking? Katara did not do dates. She'd never even thought about accepting an invitation from a man to do something that might distract her from her life goals. Yet here she was, a planned 'activity' with an unknown criminal (thank you, Sokka) for Saturday night. Granted, it would only be fifteen minutes during her shift break at the hospital, and it wasn't a date. It was a thank-you-for-saving-my-life activity. She smiled, remembering his shy question, and then quickly repressed it.

Not only that, she was also seeing him tonight as the Painted Lady for 'training'. Whatever that meant...but she hoped to take another look at the waterbending scroll with him. They could uncover secrets of bending that had been lost for thousands of years.

Katara gasped in outrage when Zuko bumped her with his elbow but then noticed that the entire Biology class was staring at her in silence. Again...

"I'm sorry, Master Pakku, could you repeat the question?" she asked guiltily, shrinking down and blushing.

"We were discussing mental health and birth defects. I thought since you frequented the psychiatric ward on your shifts you might have some insights." He spoke quietly with that tone of reprimand that was worse than yelling or calling her outright for not paying attention.

"Yes, Master Pakku." She kept it brief and to the point, adding personal examples when applicable until Pakku finally nodded, satisfied with her answer. This was exactly what she was talking about: how had she allowed herself to get so distracted? This was her dream. One that she had been forced to fight for, and she was throwing it all away for some boy?

"Are you okay?" Zuko asked quietly once Pakku had restarted his lecture. Katara's knuckles whitened on her pencil. Why did he get to keep asking that question? She was the doctor. She was the one teaching him in their one-on-ones. He was the business major, and yet somehow he was checking in on her.

"Yeah," she replied. "I just have a lot on my mind."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Now?" she whispered back, her eyes motioning towards the front of the room where their teacher was. Zuko rolled his eyes.

"You're such a rebel," he mocked. "No. We could grab tea after or something." He shrugged.

"Tea?" This had to be a record for how many times she'd been invited to an activity outside of school in 24 hours. "I have class."

Zuko shrugged again, turning back to his notes. "Suit yourself, offer stands if you change your mind. Now, I would suggest you get back to writing before Pakku calls on you again."

Katara glanced down to see Pakku was indeed looking at them. She quickly copied down what was on the board before hissing back, "You're the one distracting me."

"I'm offering something nice," he retorted, also under his breath.

"Save it for after class, then," Katara said, "I'm trying to focus for both of us here and you're not making it any easier."

"You weren't focusing at all before," he countered, "but fine, next time I won't bother."

"Fine!"

A loud voice boomed, "Would you two prefer to teach the class, or may I continue?"

"Sorry Master Pakku." They grumbled, still scowling at each other.

Katara waited until the end of class to speak to him again. "I'm sorry," she said. "I should have been kinder to you, you were only trying to help."

"That's all I've been trying to do, Katara," he responded. He was packing his folders into his messenger bag and Katara stared at the logo.

"Sokka says you want to go back," she blurted. She wasn't entirely sure what question she wanted to ask, so she paused and watched him while he finished packing.