Episode 20: Working Things Out

A/N: That's right, who do you love? A whole day early!!

Zuko remained in shock before his senses caught up with him. His eyes shut, his arms wrapped around her back to pull her closer and he leaned forward. It was magical, confusing, overwhelming, and-

"Eewwwwww!"

The sound of Sokka's disgust had them pulling apart but Zuko refused to allow her to leave the circle of his arms. If this was dream, he wanted to hang on to it as long as possible.

"Katara, get away from him!" Sokka pushed between them and it took all of Zuko's self control not to tackle his roommate to the ground. Sokka faced his sister. "He has a girlfriend."

"He does?" Katara's hands found her hips and she glared at Zuko.

"I don't!" he insisted, waving his arms frantically.

"What are you talking about?" Sokka demanded, rounding on Zuko. "Just this morning you were telling me about a girl who you were in trouble with."

"Oh, he's in trouble alright," Katara growled, her face a mask of fury.

Zuko panicked. "Shut up, Sokka!" he shouted. "You don't know what you're talking about." He leaned around his roommate so he could catch eyes with Katara. "He doesn't know what he's talking about."

"So...there isn't another girl?" Katara asked.

"Yes!" Sokka said just as Zuko said, "No!" They glared at each other.

"You're killing me, man," Zuko said beneath his breath.

Sokka's eyes slowly widened as understanding dawned on his features.

"Wait." Then he said slowly, "Katara is the girl you've been going on dates with?"

So this is how I die, Zuko thought.

They were all sitting in the boy's living room, Katara and Zuko on the couch with an empty seat between them while Sokka paced the carpet in front of them. Toph had been deposited at home. She hadn't said anything about Zuko and Katara, but she'd worn a gigantic grin the entire car ride back.

Suki had joined them to play referee, but from the way she'd squealed and jumped with joy upon seeing Zuko and Katara holding hands, it was safe to guess that she would not accurately represent the unbiased opinion Sokka had been hoping for.

"The girl you've been going on dates with is Katara?" Sokka asked for the fifteenth time.

"Now, Sokka," Suki started. He rounded on her.

"How long have you known about this?" he demanded.

"Honestly?" she asked. "Since before they knew."

"Hey!" Katara protested, but quieted when Suki shot her a look. "Yeah, maybe..." she grumbled.

Zuko was in a completely different world.

Best night of my life, hands down. He thought. Sure, everything is a mess, that's for certain, but for once it isn't entirely my fault. To Sokka's chagrin, Zuko hadn't been able to rid himself of his massive grin.

Katara had kissed him. Nothing could faze him.

"I need to talk to Zuko," Sokka said, his eyes narrowed on his roommate. "Alone."

Ok, maybe one thing. Zuko gulped.

"Why do you need to talk to him alone?" Katara demanded. "Why would you need to talk to either of us?"

"Katara." Zuko placed a gentle hand over hers. "I think it would be better if Sokka and I talked."

While the intention had been to placate, he was still surprised to see her immediately calm down and nod. Zuko was again hit with a small wave of anxiety that told him he was going to be waking up from this dream any minute. He shook his head, and when he righted himself, Katara and Suki had left the room. Sokka was standing right in front of him.