Faded Memories

ᴛɪᴛʟᴇ: 𝗙𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗱 𝗠𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀

𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐦𝐨𝐧'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I was downstairs eating snacks while watching TV when I heard a loud noise coming from Nanon's room.

I immediately rushed and opened the door, only to see broken glass on the floor while Nanon was standing in front of his bed.

"Nanon—!"

"Who are you?! What are you doing at my house?!" Nanon panicked and grabbed something to hit me.

"Nanon, calm down, babe, it's me, Chimon," I calmly explained.

"Chimon?" He held tightly on what he's holding, still not recognizing who I am.

Nanon was diagnosed with an illness where he would suddenly forget something or someone important but will eventually come back again.

"Yes, it's me, Chimon, your boyfriend." I noticed how his grip loosen and his expression soften.

It's hard how someone you love would suddenly forget who you are, how important they are to you, or even the most important things for your relationship. It's hard but I have to endure it and always remind him who he is, who I am, and what we are, that's because I love him.

There would be times where he wouldn't really remember me for days, even if I try to make him remember. There were also times where I almost give up seeing how he completely ignores me like I'm just a stranger.

Why don't I leave him, you ask? I can't, I don't want to. I loved him for who he was, I loved him and chose him for him. I won't leave him just because he has some illness. That's not love, he needs help, and that help is me.

"I don't know you! Get out of my house!" He started chasing me away again. It breaks my heart but I have to be strong for him.

"Wait! Nanon, please it's me, I'm your boyfriend, look." I took my phone out and showed him a picture of us, lots of pictures, ever since we got together up until now.

The thing he was holding dropped to the ground and he suddenly collapsed down. I immediately rushed next to him. 

My tears kept flowing down my cheeks, it breaks me every time, and it scares me because there is a possibility that he would lose his memory, permanently.

"W-what happened to you?" I asked a now crying Nanon.

"D-did I forgot you again?" His voice trembled, tears flowing continuously, guilt and fear lingering in his voice.

I didn't answer and just pulled him closer to my chest, letting the both of us calm down. Sobs and silent cries filled Nanon's room for a few minutes before Nanon fell asleep again.

I looked at his face, he looked so peaceful, just like an angel.

I tucked him in bed and once again stared at his face, tears started flowing again, I leaned down and kissed his forehead and stayed there, letting all my emotions flow. I closed my eyes tightly, memories of the both of us started flashing.

"𝘐'𝘮 𝘵𝘪𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺, 𝘕𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘯, 𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘶𝘱 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯'𝘵, 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰. 𝘠𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘐 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘕𝘰𝘯"

I backed away and wiped my tears away and also Nanon's forehead where my tears flowed. I let myself calm down before cleaning the broken glasses that are scattered on the floor.

"Hang in there, Non, we can get through this!" I thought to myself.

//=//=//

The next day. January 15, my birthday. I was out to buy some ingredients so I can cook for me and Nanon later.

I told him that I'll be out so if he needs anything he could just call me. I also made our photo his wallpaper in case he forgot about me again. There are notebooks too, containing every information he needs to regain his memory.

I don't expect anything from him today, his condition got worse and some of his memories got permanently erased. It hurts seeing him get hurt too, trying hard to remember every detail but no success.

After almost 2 hours, I've already finished buying groceries and am already on my way back home.

I texted Nanon that I'll be back soon, which I didn't get any reply. I took a deep sigh trying to relax.

"𝘗𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘣𝘦 𝘰𝘬𝘢𝘺, 𝘕𝘰𝘯"

=//=//=

"I'm home!" I shouted so Nanon could hear me.

No response.

"Non! Babe, where are you?" I called but there's still no response.

"Nanon—" I got interrupted when I saw him pop out from the kitchen holding a small cake

"Happy birthday, baby." My heart pounded, I don't know how to describe what I'm feeling right now.

"Y-you remember?" tears streamed down my face again, I can't control it. My heart is so happy right now that I wanted to scream with joy but only tears went out.

"I might not be able to remember how we first met, when we first met, how I fell in love with you, I might not be able to remember every detail about how we got together, I might also forget you sometimes, but remember one thing for sure." He paused and placed the cake down to hug me.

"Remember this, my memories might fade but know that my love for you will always remain the same, hmm? I forget your name and your face but I never forget that I already have someone, and that's you."

I bawled my eyes out and cried so loud today, I can't think of any other way to express how happy I am, I am touched. I am so grateful to have you in my life Non, no matter what they say, I will always love you. Best birthday ever.

~END~