Chapter 5 - Iconic Nicknames

~ Nick's POV ~

Luckily, Clay and I got to our next class before the second bell could ring, which was social studies.

When we went into the classroom, we were greeted with a pleasant surprise.

As it was the first day of school, we didn't get to meet any of our teachers beforehand. We could see their names on our schedule, but that didn't really matter, did it?

Anyway, last year, my social studies teacher was one of the nicest teachers in the school. Poor Clay, he didn't have her last year.

Her name's Mrs. Lawrence, and apparently, she moved up from being a sophomore teacher to a junior teacher. I'm gonna be honest, I couldn't have been happier.

Anyway, once the entire class sat down, she greeted us with her usual happy attitude.

"Welcome to junior social studies, everyone! We're going to have the best time here."

Coming from me, this probably isn't the beginning you were expecting. However, this is when it gets good.

Clay, clearly already bored, passes me a sticky note. We sat in the back of the class so it would be easy to get away with things.

"why the fuck do you look so happy?" it said.

"you don't know mrs. lawrence." I wrote back.

"whatever."

I held the note for a while before getting an idea to try to rid Clay of his boredom.

"wanna create nicknames for each other?"

"come on, nick. we're not kids anymore."

"well, do you have any other ideas?"

"guess not."

We looked at each other for a while, then I got a bigger piece of paper and passed him a question.

"so what nickname do you want?"

"dream."

"damn that was fast. but why dream?"

"nick. you know i use dream for my social name."

"fair enough. what about me?"

"why are you asking me this question? it's up to you."

"well i can't think of anything."

"how about this - sadnap? it's panda backwards."

"first, i can see that. second, i don't really like it much."

When he read that, Clay made a sound that sounded like "hm." He wrote something and passed the paper to me.

"how about sapnap? you can't say that's bad."

"i guess i can't. why not, i'll use it. but what about george?"

"easy - georgenotfound. he's not here, so it fits."

I had to restrain myself a lot to keep from laughing in the middle of class.

"we have our nicknames, then. sapnap, dream, and georgenotfound."

It was right then and there that I saw Mrs. Lawrence walking towards us as I was giving the note back to Clay.

"May I have this note, boys?"

Reluctantly, he gave it to her. She read it briefly and gave it back to Clay.

"Please don't pass notes during my class or there will be consequences." She turned to the rest of the class. "That goes for everyone."

We looked at each other and smiled. Do consequences really matter? Well, yes, but we could care less.

Clay stored the paper in his bag and we both turned to the front of the class.

'We're not kids anymore'? Clay, we may get older as time goes on, but we're all still kids at heart.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~541 Words~