The Trial

Charlotte and Khan went over a plan for the trial over the next few days. Charlotte would testify and Khan would be a witness for how ill she was. He threw questions at her that had been asked at his own trial and a few new ones he had made up. The night before the trial, Charlotte and Khan fell asleep with their arms wrapped tightly around one another. Khan had a feeling that this would be the last time they would get to be with each other like this.

"I love you, my darling." He whispered. "I'll always be here for you, even when you can't see me."

Charlotte was already fast asleep, so she hadn't heard him. Khan sighed. His sleep was dreamless and restless. When he woke up, Charlotte was pacing in the cell, muttering under her breath. Khan knew that she was going over what she was going to say. 

"Charlotte?" Khan said. She didn't stop muttering and pacing. She only acknowledged him by holding her hand up and slightly waving. "Charlotte, give it a rest. It's going to be fine. I promise you."

"Khan, I don't think you understand. This trial is what determines if we get to live together forever or not." Charlotte said. "If I can convince them to exile us, we'll be okay. If I can't...I don't know what will happen. We'll probably never see each other again."

"Hey, hey, it'll be okay." Khan said. He got up, wrapped his arms around her, and kissed her on the lips. When they broke apart, Khan studied Charlotte. "Why are you shaking?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because I have to go face the entire counsil for trying to elope with a criminal?" Charlotte said.

"I promise you, it won't be that bad." Khan said. "It wasn't for me."

"Well, that's because you're you." Charlotte said. "Not everyone can be as calm and collective as you. I'm a bundle of nerves."

"How can you be a doctor if you're a bundle of nerves?" Khan asked.

"I don't know. I've just been able to shut my emotions out then." Charlotte said.

"Pretend you're going in for a big surgery then." Khan said. "Try to shut out your emotions. But don't go too far. A little emotion might be just what we need. How long have you been up practicing?"

"Probably since two in the morning." Charlotte muttered.

"Okay, you're laying down to get some more rest." Khan said. "Come here."

Charlotte went and cuddled up next to Khan on the cot. Khan held her carefully, as if she was a glass object he could break if he held her too tightly. Charlotte didn't want to sleep, but Khan kept telling her he would somehow force her to sleep if he had to. Charlotte finally did fall asleep. Khan managed to catch a few more hours of sleep. When he awoke at dawn, he noticed that Charlotte's long, brown hair was draped over his neck. Khan smiled and sighed happily. He heard footsteps coming towards the cell and sat up. Charlotte's head fell on the cot and she woke up. She yawned.

"Khan?" She said.

"Yes?" Khan asked in a hushed voice.

"What's wrong?" Charlotte asked.

"I can hear people coming. I bet it's for you." Khan said. He kissed Charlotte on the head. "Go get 'em, darling." 

"You'll be there, right?" Charlotte asked.

"I think so." Khan nodded. He kissed Charlotte again. "It's going to be fine. I love you."

"I love you too." Charlotte said. 

Khan had been right. It was Kirk, Spock, and four guards. Two of the guards were for Charlotte and the other two were for Khan. They only cuffed Charlotte and had guards for her because of how strong she could bew now. They had guards and cuffs for Khan because...well, it was Khan. As they went to the court, Khan kept giving Charlotte reassuring smiles. She tried to smile back, but she couldn't calm down. She was bouncing her leg, chewing her nails, and sweating slightly. Khan, with difficulty, took her hand in his.