012

❀

   THIS whole plan was for the future. The way our lives revolved against the odds to survive. Did that mean it always went out way. No, but at least we tried. The way each step was a step closer to the future. Make a mistake and everything that was planned evaporates. But not everything went this way. Was I getting karma for what I've done, well I hope I wasn't. Sure, I've made mistakes all do my life however I made up for them over the years. I gained knowledge and used for my own benefit. I was sure the whole team knew about my old life only they never really talked about it. I knew secrets of them of course. Except I only had a question. What did Brekker have agains Pekka Rollings. I recall that disturbing memory in my mind. The way Brekker was kneeled of the ground with his cane against his throat. His eyes were laced with anger I have never witnessed before. The way he grabbed his hair in frustration when he left. I could sense the agony and revenge that filled him. This whole mission had me questioning the process of life and the meaning of it. Was this even supposed to happen? No, but yet it did.

    A booming voiced was heard from afar. As I quickly stopped what I was doing to focus. Wind rapidly blew in through the holes on the wall as  the sounds screamed as they rapidly increased its motion. The sounds of civilians screamed on the top of theirs lungs from a distance away. All this, just for a speck of power. My mouth stood ajar as my eyes slowly traveled to the sound of the yelling. I peered through one of the slits of the wood as I saw the dark fold increasing it's distance towards the town. I slowly spun around and looked towards the floor.As soon as my eyes looked up I saw the questioning eyes staring at me. The expression on my face was unreadable even for me. The rapid footsteps increased from the top as they slowly reached the front. Not another sound was heard from upstairs.

"So what now?" The screaming increased from afar as Jesper pulled his guns down as confusion spread all over his face.

"We wait" Brekker stated it as if it was obvious. He was clearly an emotionless person as he stood there with no sense of morality.

"Kaz, you can hear them slaughtering the city" Inej stepped up. Her eyes quickly scanned his, yet he stood firmly on the spot facing the wall. His eyes never left the wall even with Inej in his face. After a moment of silence he finally snapped.

"So you understand the scale of his power, then? Good." He quickly announced towards inej as he spoke fiercely making her flinch. Her sudden movement made his eyes soften as she backed away. The bond between the two of them was strong but at this moment it was starting to strip away.

  Those poor civilians, they never stood a chance against the hungry creatures. From the cracks of the skiff you could see a bunch of bystanders huddled in a distance as they waited for the miracle to happen. Only this miracle was going to get them killed. A miracle that would leave them wounded as they looked away for a slight second while the Volcra clung on to their body as they slowly were swept away from their home. This whole plan was a sacrifice and we were the ones suffering. But did we ever stop suffering?